Author Topic: I’m looking for some grave look ups. The cemetery is the Old Carmel Chapel Cem  (Read 693 times)

Offline Bidr

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: I’m looking for some grave look ups. The cemetery is the Old Carmel Chapel Cem
« Reply #9 on: Monday 07 August 23 13:36 BST (UK) »
Information for future reference and searches.

Archive Service searchroom in Swansea Civic Centre. Opening hours are Tuesdays-Fridays, 09:00-12:30 and 13:30-17:00.
Hold the following records for this graveyard: Old Carmel/Hen Garmel Chapel Cemetery in Llangiwg.

•   Photocopy of a survey of the graveyard of the old Carmel Chapel, entitled 'Mynwent Hen Garmel 1992', giving the name and address, year of death and row number. Graves date from 1832 to 1974. Compiled in 1992. (D/D Ind 39/1)

•   Bound facsimile of the graveyard registers of Carmel church cemetery recording burials in graves arranged by plot number. The burials date from approximately 1900-2016. (D/D Ind 39/18/1)

Offline Bidr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile

Offline selwynfroggitt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: I’m looking for some grave look ups. The cemetery is the Old Carmel Chapel Cem
« Reply #11 on: Monday 11 September 23 19:52 BST (UK) »
 A bit confused..  I went to Carmel Capel to see if I could see any gravestones. It is in Gwaun Cae Gurwen about 6 miles from Pontardawe and  is now private dwellings opposite Gron Road GCG. Spoke to resident who claimed that there never was a graveyard at this chapel. I checked with another local who also said that there was never a graveyard here. I have seen the link which shows details of gravestones so do not understand. Google maps shows buildings at the rear and a large space for cars.
Not far from here is Tairgwaith which has a Brook Terrace but as far as I can see there is no Brook Terrace in Pontardawe

Offline Hinso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 September 23 08:02 BST (UK) »
The old Chapel is up on the hillside above the villages of Gwaun Cae Gurwen and Cwmgors. The Chapel was destroyed in an arson attack some years ago. The graveyard remains. You visited the 'new' Chapel which was built last century in the middle of Gwaun Cae Gurwen. This never had a graveyard and has recently been converted into a dwelling.
Horne - Oxfordshire, Lincolnshire
James - Grosmont (Monmouthshire)
Jones, Thomas, Davies - Carmarthenshire, Glamorgan
Price - Monmouthshire, Glamorgan
Prosser - Breconshire
Prossl - Bohemia, London
Rees - Carmarthenshire, Monmouthshire, Illinois
Walter - Somerset, Kansas, Queensland, Western Australia

Offline selwynfroggitt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 12 September 23 20:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you Hinso, found it today. There are 2 cemeteries divided by a wall and gate.. searched a little in the first then saw the sign Camel Capel burial ground just the other side of the gate
Saw the stone for John Thomas Vickers and his wife Martha Jane  he died 31 Jan 1962 aged 77 and Martha died 9 February 1966 aged 76   At Rest   no other information shown.

A lot of graves have no memorial stone but I did note 2 others
Mary Vickers wife of William and devoted mother of Roy and Ron died 17 Feb 1994 age 81
William Thomas Vickers died 17 Nov 2010  age 92
No idea if related.

David John Vickers of Tairgwaith died 30 March 1985   Sarah Hanna Vickers  died 27 June 2017 age 97
Robert Frank Vickers died 1993 age 26.

Did not find any of the Davies stones

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 12 September 23 21:49 BST (UK) »
William T Vickers
Birth Registration    Q3  1918
Pontardawe  Volume 11a, p 1869
Mother's Maiden Name    Davies

Suggests he's the son of John and Martha Jane (nee Davies)

David John is also a son of theirs - with them in 1911

Offline Bidr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 13 September 23 21:37 BST (UK) »
A bit confused..  I went to Carmel Capel to see if I could see any gravestones. It is in Gwaun Cae Gurwen about 6 miles from Pontardawe and  is now private dwellings opposite Gron Road GCG. Spoke to resident who claimed that there never was a graveyard at this chapel. I checked with another local who also said that there was never a graveyard here. I have seen the link which shows details of gravestones so do not understand. Google maps shows buildings at the rear and a large space for cars.
Not far from here is Tairgwaith which has a Brook Terrace but as far as I can see there is no Brook Terrace in Pontardawe
Thank you Selwyn, It's much appreciated you looking for the grave stones !

Offline Bidr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 13 September 23 21:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you Hinso, found it today. There are 2 cemeteries divided by a wall and gate.. searched a little in the first then saw the sign Camel Capel burial ground just the other side of the gate
Saw the stone for John Thomas Vickers and his wife Martha Jane  he died 31 Jan 1962 aged 77 and Martha died 9 February 1966 aged 76   At Rest   no other information shown.

A lot of graves have no memorial stone but I did note 2 others
Mary Vickers wife of William and devoted mother of Roy and Ron died 17 Feb 1994 age 81
William Thomas Vickers died 17 Nov 2010  age 92
No idea if related.

David John Vickers of Tairgwaith died 30 March 1985   Sarah Hanna Vickers  died 27 June 2017 age 97
Robert Frank Vickers died 1993 age 26.

Did not find any of the Davies stones
Selwyn,  All the graves you found are related  THANK YOU VERY MUCH!