Author Topic: Can I find the parents of William Hickin of Lapworth, born c. 1800?  (Read 195 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can I find the parents of William Hickin of Lapworth, born c. 1800?
« on: Friday 04 August 23 18:06 BST (UK) »
I’d be grateful for help with William Hickin, who is a bit of a mystery. What I know:

He married Ann Bradbury in 1827 in St Martin’s, Birmingham. She was born in Lapworth and was the widow of Henry Hill, farmer. Her father William Bradbury was a wealthy farmer (PCC will).

William and Ann had children baptised in Lapworth.

William Hickin died in Lapworth aged 39 in 1839.

I haven’t found a baptism anywhere for him.
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Can I find the parents of William Hickin of Lapworth, born c. 1800?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 August 23 18:09 BST (UK) »
Are you assuming he was born in Warwickshire or do you have any evidence that supports it being his birthplace?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 August 23 18:14 BST (UK) »
Have you already dismissed this baptism?

www.rootschat.com/links/01sk4/

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 August 23 18:24 BST (UK) »
Have you already dismissed this baptism?

www.rootschat.com/links/01sk4/

I also like the look of this baptism, as a Charles and Martha Hickin did go on to have children in Lapworth in the years after this.

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 August 23 19:54 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, this is brilliant. I’ve been looking for his baptism for ages, but never found it on FindMyPast. I knew that Charles and Martha Hickin had married in Solihull and farmed in Lapworth at the same time as William, but there are a lot of Hickins/Hickens around the area, and apart from the name George, no other Christian name seemed common to William’s children and Charles and Martha and their children baptised in Lapworth. However, this record looks spot on. Also, it fills the gap somewhat between the 1797 marriage and the first baptism in Lapworth.

In case anyone else find this useful at any time, this ties in with a post from a few years
 ago:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=806801.0
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight