Author Topic: Moelfre, Llansilin: where are the records for the chapels? (ie not the churches)  (Read 206 times)

Offline Malcolm Butcher

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My maternal grandma's family came from Moelfre. They lived and died there from the 1850s to the 1930s. I have searched the bmd records for the churches but found nothing. I'd like to search the chapel records but don't know where to go to find them. They're not in the Record Office at Ruthin. Any ideas out there?

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Moelfre, Llansilin: where are the records for the chapels? (ie not the churches)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 August 23 20:36 BST (UK) »
North East Wales Archives (www.newa.wales) has this to say:

Some nonconformist chapel registers have been deposited with a local archive, but not all. A chapel register generally provides the same kind of information as a church register. You can see a list of chapel registers we hold using our chapel register index (Chapel register index available in our search-rooms only).
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Moelfre, Llansilin: where are the records for the chapels? (ie not the churches)
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 August 23 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hi

Clwyd FHS once produced  a CD of Nonconformist records in the area. I have the one covering  the old Denbighshire (The Blackwell index). I don't think it's available for sale now. I copied it to my PC. However, the only records that are available for Llansilin are of the Bethesda Congregational Chapel. This covers Births/Baptisms from 181-1837. 

I've not used it for a while but can have a look for you.

However, if the records that you are looking for aren't available in the online Non-C records, it's unlikely that they have survived.

It might be worth contacting the Clwyd FHS -

https://www.clwydfhs.org.uk/

Gadget

PS  - note that many nonconformists went to other areas for baptisms, etc. so they might be under Llangollen, Oswestry, etc.  I found some of mine in Llangollen listings.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 August 23 00:02 BST (UK) »
Listing of all the parishes covered in the Blackwell Index:

https://www.familysearch.org/en/wiki/Denbighshire_Nonconformist_Registers

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Malcolm Butcher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 August 23 15:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you KGarrard and Gadget. It seems that the Blackwell Index has baptisms up to 1837 only and I'd like to look at 1850 forwards. The chapel register index appears to be only available at the NEWA search room. I can feel a visit coming on. Thank you for your suggestions though.

FYI, the baptisms I am looking for are the Richards family of Vownog (Fawnog), Moelfre, viz:
Thomas 1857; Edward 1859; Elizabeth 1860; Mary Ann 1863; Ellenor 1864; Jane 1867; John 1869; Hannah 1871; Allen 1863. The next generation is: Thomas 1881; Catherine 1885; Agnes 1887; Herbert 1894 and Mary Ellen 1897.