Author Topic: Thomas Hamilton - 1848  (Read 239 times)

Offline deigo1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Hamilton - 1848
« on: Friday 04 August 23 21:55 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I hope I've landed in the right spot.  I was looking for help trying to locate the baptism record of a great grandparent...Thomas Hamilton.  He is the son of Charles Hamilton and Susan Johnston(e) born ~ 1848 in Bo'ness, Linlithgowshire.  His parents were both born in Ireland, but as I can tell they moved to the area in the early 1840's after the birth of their daughter.  There are other children born in the same area, but the only ones I've been able to find on the Scotland site are the ones born after 1855.  He is present on the 1851 census and his two older brothers William ~1844 and Charles ~1846, both show born in the same town.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Hamilton - 1848
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 August 23 17:41 BST (UK) »
If you have looked at the index to baptisms in the three sections of the church records at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk and not found it, then it is quite likely that no record of the baptism (if one ever existed) has survived.

Do you know what religious denomination they belonged to?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline deigo1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 August 23 23:22 BST (UK) »
I have not found him or the other older children in the church archives on that site.  Most of the children came to the US, in his sister Sarah's obituary it reads that she was christened in a Presbyterian church in England as a little girl (she was about 10 years younger).

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 November 23 04:08 GMT (UK) »
In 1851 the Hamilton household in Bo'ness looked like this:

Charles Hamilton 30
Susana  31
Mary  9
William  7
Charles  5
Diana  0

Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.