Author Topic: Reid/Harcus or Hercus, Hillside Croft, Shapinsay  (Read 7815 times)

Offline Laurina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Reid/Harcus or Hercus, Hillside Croft, Shapinsay
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 29 November 05 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Third time lucky!!!!

opps pressed the wrong button....

Here are the earlier Shapinsay Census for Hillside

1861 Census

William Reid    Head   29   Farmer 30 acres                          Born - Eday
Jessie Reid     Wife     33                                                      Born - Westray
William Reid   Son        7                                                       Born - Eday
Jessie Reid     Daug     5                                                       Born - Eday
John H Reid    Son       2                                                       Born - Shapinsay

1871 Census

Jessie Reid      Head     44   Widow - Farmer of 25 acres     Born - Westray
John Reid        Son       12                                                    Born - Shapinsay
Margaret Reid Daug     8                                                      Born - Shapinsay
James Reid     Son        5                                                      Born - Shapinsay

1881 Census

Jessie Reid      Head     53  Widow - Farmer of 25 acres     Born - Westray
William Reid        Son    27  Farm Manager                          Born - Eday
Mary Reid     D-in-Law   26 Farm Managers wife                 Born - Deerness
Alexander Davidson S-in-L 4                                               Born - Deerness     
William Reid   Grandson 1                                                   Born - Shapinsay
Jessie Reid     Daug      26  Dressmaker                              Born - Eday
James Reid     Son        15  Farm Servant                            Born - Shapinsay
William Reid   Grandson  11 months                                   Born - Shapinsay

Yes there are two William Reid grandsons.

Got there in the end! :D  ??? :D

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Laurina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 29 November 05 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Monumental Inscription in South Church Shapinsay

"Erected by Jessie Reid in memory of her beloved husband William Reid who departed this life Sep 7 1866 aged 38 years"

Could be your William Reid as Jessie is a widow in the 1871 census

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 November 05 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all of you who have helped on this one - and for the renewed interest! I now have a wealth of information tracking this family back to at least the 1861 census and before.
As for that last piece of information regarding the possible MI at South Church, Shapinshay, I checked out my death cert. info – it is very possibly the correct one. His death was in fact on September 7, 1865 – so possibly weathering on the the stone or whatever has made it look like a 6. Seems like too much of a coincidence to me! I am now on the lookout for any photos of the South Church, I'm sure I will find one on the web somewhere.

Thanks again folks - for all your help so far!  :)
Edwards, Grieve, Talbert in Angus and Kincardineshire; Allan, Dundas, Hacket, Milne, Reid in Aberdeen and Orkney; Brock in Thurso and Aberdeen; Rennie in Aberdeenshire to name but a few...

Offline Laurina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 29 November 05 22:36 GMT (UK) »
I visited South Church in the summer and have photos of it.... don't know how to send them to you

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 30 November 05 11:08 GMT (UK) »
I think I once attached a photo to a reply I once did. If the pic is a jpeg or a tif (i.e. a digital pic either taken with a digital camera or scanned image) you go to the bottom your reply and click on the bit that says 'Additional options'. From their you can navigate to where the the aforementioned file is on your computer and add it to your message.

Failing that I have sent you a personal reply with my e-mail address, so hopefully you might be able to send it as an attachment to an e-mail.

Thanks again for all assistance received! You Orkney RootsChatters are a friendly bunch!

:)
Edwards, Grieve, Talbert in Angus and Kincardineshire; Allan, Dundas, Hacket, Milne, Reid in Aberdeen and Orkney; Brock in Thurso and Aberdeen; Rennie in Aberdeenshire to name but a few...

Offline starlet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 February 06 15:24 GMT (UK) »
hi there
as an inhabitant of shapinsay and living a stones throw from Hillside Iwould like to offer my services with any help uyou need in tracing your relatives.  We are near the church and if you need anything checking here then let me know

Offline Laurina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 16 February 06 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Starlet,

I'm a descendant of Shapinsay Drever's ~ managed to visit last summer... it's a truely beautiful place.  Good to know of a connection there

Laurina

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 17 February 06 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the offer! My interest in family history has gone off in a totally different direction at the moment (researching a branch of my wife's family!). However, once I get back on to the Reid side, I might get back to you. Is there still a croft at Hillside?

Thanks again