Author Topic: Convict 1841 Zadock Collins  (Read 229 times)

Offline Jed Stu

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Convict 1841 Zadock Collins
« on: Saturday 05 August 23 14:32 BST (UK) »
Zadock Collins

1841 Nottingham Asizes
Zadock was convicted and charged with breaking and entering, with two others, and sentenced to 10 years for stealing one shilling and five pence... It was noted that Zadock had four previous convictions.

1841 Westmoreland Ship
Zadock was transported aboard the Westmoreland prison ship to Van Diemen's Land...1841

Please can anyone tell me if there's any evidence of Zadock's life on Van Diemen's Land?
And did he possibly marry, and live a long life?

I'd love to to know what became of Zadock, and also see any original documents too please.

Zadocks parents were, George and Elizabeth Collins.
Zadock was born during September 1819, Cotgrave, Nottingham,  Nottinghamshire.

Thank you, and my very best wishes.
Jed

WALES
Edwards, Jenkins, Rees, Phillips, Thomas, Westphal:
Bridell, Cardiff, Cenarth, Clydey, Eglwyswrw, Llanboidy, Llanfairnantgwyn, Llantood Pem
ENGLAND
Agg, Craddock, Hayward, Heges, Hunt, Pains: Northleach, Coln St Dennis, Gloucestershire

Bradby, Bradly, Hill, Thorp: Preston Candover Hants, London
Collins: Radford Notts
Gunther, Norton, Roberts, Rohlederer: Liverpool, Manchester, Cheshire, Yorks
Mitchell, Pells, Roberts, Sinclair, Thorp, Trery: LONDON
Smith : Felsham, Gedding SUFF

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Convict 1841 Zadock Collins
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 August 23 15:19 BST (UK) »
Found one item on Trove (Aussie newspapers on line) - granted ticket of leave
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/264518170?searchTerm=zadock%20collins

Checking out Tasmanian name index drew a blank
https://libraries.tas.gov.au/family-history/births-deaths-and-marriages/what-is-online/#articleBody

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 August 23 15:27 BST (UK) »
Found his convict record under "Tadoch Collins"
https://librariestas.ent.sirsidynix.net.au/client/en_AU/names/search/detailnonmodal/ent:$002f$002fNAME_INDEXES$002f0$002fNAME_INDEXES:1382135/one?qu=NI_INDEX%3D%22Convicts%22&qu=tadoch&qu=collins

Added - the link is not delivering the records/documents - only the search screen. So, use this screen to search for Tadoch Collins

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 August 23 19:02 BST (UK) »
Found his convict record under "Tadoch Collins"
https://librariestas.ent.sirsidynix.net.au/client/en_AU/names/search/detailnonmodal/ent:$002f$002fNAME_INDEXES$002f0$002fNAME_INDEXES:1382135/one?qu=NI_INDEX%3D%22Convicts%22&qu=tadoch&qu=collins

Added - the link is not delivering the records/documents - only the search screen. So, use this screen to search for Tadoch Collins

Hopefully this works https://www.rootschat.com/links/01skb/

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 August 23 19:46 BST (UK) »
So in 1875 he was using the alias George Collins
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 August 23 20:55 BST (UK) »
That's how I read it - but there are a "lorra, lorra" George Collins on the name index!!

Offline Annbee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 August 23 02:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Jed,

A while ago I made this basic PDF containing essential resource links for Australia. I made it to share, so give it a burl.

You should be able to tap into Tasmanian archives once you work out their system and they have, for free, most of the original early records.

Also, your ancestor, if he was granted ticket of leave (a get out of jail ticket but with restrictions), may have left Tasmania and headed to anther state.

Since early white settlement meant a small population compared to UK, it is possible your ancestor got a mention in the newspapers. So take a look at Trove using search terms with quotes to contain the name/phrase and with + sign eg." "zadock collins" +death" (or died or stonemason or theft or whatever you think he may have been up to)  Trove is best used on a computer, it's not made for mobile devices. You can search using the Boolean method but I find the simple ""+ works well for Trove.

There are quite a few links to search with in the attachment. It's 3 pages.

I've not attached PDFs with pages before, so if you can't view the pages or open the document, let me know. EDIT: I just tested it and it seems to work :)

Annie
Warwickshire: BEACH/BACHE, COX Gloucestershire: HAIL, VOYCE, TURNER, WINCHCOMBE, PREEN, Worcestershire: WEBB, CHARE, TYLER, Fife: FOWLER, JOHNSTONE, MELVILLE, Lanarkshire/Dunbartonshire: GRAHAM, CHALMERS, LANG, BISHOP, Sweden/Hamburg/London/Birmingham: HOKANSON

Offline Annbee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 August 23 02:52 BST (UK) »
And if you know any of his family history, and even if you don't, you can 'claim' your convict here! :

https://www.hawkesbury.net.au/claimaconvict/convictDetails.php?convictId=129084
Warwickshire: BEACH/BACHE, COX Gloucestershire: HAIL, VOYCE, TURNER, WINCHCOMBE, PREEN, Worcestershire: WEBB, CHARE, TYLER, Fife: FOWLER, JOHNSTONE, MELVILLE, Lanarkshire/Dunbartonshire: GRAHAM, CHALMERS, LANG, BISHOP, Sweden/Hamburg/London/Birmingham: HOKANSON