Author Topic: Edwards family burials  (Read 143 times)

Offline gotom

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edwards family burials
« on: Saturday 05 August 23 18:42 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the burials of Robert and Mary Edwards of Porthmadog. Mary died on 5 April 1848 aged 59yrs and Robert on 25 January 1850 aged 66yrs.  In 1841 and 1851 the family were said to be living at London Road, Porthmadog, Ynyscynhaiarn.  Robert was a surgeon.  I have checked burials  in Ynyscynhaiarn, Penmorfa, Llanfihangel y Pennant, Treflys Llanfrothen or Llanfihangel y Traethau parish registers and at Minnfford Road Cemetery, Moel y Gest cemetery, Penmaser Road or the small one found behind Garth Terrace with no success.  I understand from posts in 2018 that there is a cemetery at Bethel, Golan which has burials from Porthmadog. Would anyone have access to an index and could check for me, please?  Or any other suggestions? 

Offline collwyn ap tangno

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edwards family burials
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 August 23 23:59 BST (UK) »
Cymdeithas Hanes Teuluoedd Gwynedd have registers you can buy on their website. I’ve checked T Ceiri Griffith’s Achau book, there’s only one entry for london road and it’s not Edwards. There’s a lot of entries for Porthmadog (spelt Portmadoc in early records), it would take a while to go through them. Unfortunately it doesn’t index professions which would be really useful. Porthmadog would be a very new place in 1841 so it might be an idea to widen the search. You could also try the tithe maps on line on the Wales Library site. A surgeon would be very likely to own land.  Could he also be related to this family:   Roberts, G. T., (1959). EDWARDS, HUMPHREY (1730 - 1788), physician and apothecary. Dictionary of Welsh Biography. Retrieved 7 Aug 2023, from https://biography.wales/article/s-EDWA-HUM-1730
There’s a record of a Robert Edwards surgeon of Port Madoc in the carnarvon and denbigh herald ( death announcement of his third daughter Anne). 4th June 1842.  Robert Edwards Surgeon died 25th January 1850 also in The North Wales Chronicle and Advertiser for the Principality.