Author Topic: Dropbox  (Read 288 times)

Online wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Dropbox
« on: Saturday 05 August 23 19:10 BST (UK) »
I have Dropbox Basic and it's been storing all my files and folders.
I have had a message to say my limit is up and need to upgrade.
I can manage without lots of the stuff stored so have deleted it without losing it from my Pc.
Now I find that deleting it from Dropbox won't release space.
This is after messing around with it all day 😉

Just wondering if I can delete the current Dropbox account and open another one, then be more selective in what I store.

Alternatively is there another free storage system with more space than Dropbox.

Thanks
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Dropbox
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 August 23 19:24 BST (UK) »
I have Dropbox Basic and it's been storing all my files and folders.
I have had a message to say my limit is up and need to upgrade…

Just giving you reading material until someone pops in who actually knows what they are doing  ;D

When I’ve deleted things from my iPad, it has taken a day or more to show that there is additional space.  I wonder if the same could be true for Dropbox?  Might it stay in a cache until it is routinely permanently deleted?

I hope I’ve given folks a good laugh with my thoughts on the subject.  ;D
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 August 23 20:12 BST (UK) »
Alternatively is there another free storage system with more space than Dropbox.

Yes. Currently I'm using Icedrive (up to 10GB free) and Ionos HiDrive (not free, but around 4p/day for 100GB).

Note that I only do manual backups, as I signed up for these when I had much slower broadband and I've never felt the need for automatic syncing. I think both of them do have an automatic option, but don't take my word for it if that's what you need.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 August 23 11:59 BST (UK) »
I've just got rid of a load of stuff from my free Dropbox and now have a lot less showing (59MB of 2TB !) at dropbox.com.

You have to get it to synchronise after you have deleted things from your Dropbox folder.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.