Author Topic: American veteran  (Read 292 times)

Offline knighttemplar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
American veteran
« on: Saturday 05 August 23 19:41 BST (UK) »
I feel sometimes that I may have exhausted all my options in trying to find the burial place in Hertfordshire of an old American veteran who died on April 12, 1905. My enquiries to the local councils and numerous cemeteries have, through their generous help in giving me some of their precious time, always resulted in a negative search in locating him.

So I would like to appeal to those Hertfordshire students of genealogy and history, if you could possibly help a Liverpool man who doesn't know Hertfordshire well enough, and point him in the right direction of where I should direct my attention to. Charles McEvoy was born in Glasgow in 1824 to Irish parents, and was brought up to my knowledge as a Catholic. He served in the American Civil War and died in Codicote on April 12, 1905.

Would there be a Catholic cemetery where he could be buried in which I haven't tried yet, as the majority of my searches have mostly been to council cemeteries at this moment in time. Is it possible he could have been buried miles away from his Codicote home, but still in Hertfordshire? Any input would be greatly appreciated on where to look.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: American veteran
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 August 23 20:14 BST (UK) »

No mention so far in many newspapers.

Could he have been buried at the same place as his wife and sons  ?

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/193649581/mary-jane-mcevoy

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline knighttemplar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 August 23 20:41 BST (UK) »
Good evening Sandra and thanks for getting back to me. He is mentioned in the papers, including the Times, but none of them mentioned his funeral. I found his wife and son buried years later in Bath, but he's not buried with them. So I'm turning my attention back to where he died. If I can illuminate this part of Hertfordshire, then I can look further afield later.

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 August 23 20:54 BST (UK) »
Is this his obituary on Familysearch? https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q5S7-C34W
Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline knighttemplar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 August 23 21:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathy,
It is, but like I said, none of the papers reported his funeral. Do you know of a local Catholic Cemetery or Cemeteries where I may direct myself to look to?

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 August 23 06:44 BST (UK) »
I am sure you will have seen this Confederate Officers index card which quotes " "Capt" on tombstone" and "buried in "Codicot, Herts" "

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/26812:61982 
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline knighttemplar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 August 23 07:48 BST (UK) »
Good morning Shaun,

I have thank you and his many achievements in his skilled career as an inventor, even down to his dancing skills.

Would I be correct in thinking that there isn’t a catholic cemetery in Hertfordshire? In which case where would the nearest one be? St Patrick’s near London?

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 August 23 07:59 BST (UK) »
Burial records for Codicote are at Hertfordshire Record Office.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline knighttemplar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 August 23 08:16 BST (UK) »
Morning KGarrad,

Thank you too for getting back to me. My earlier post mentioned that I had approached the council cemeteries, but sadly without much success in finding him buried in the local cemeteries. So I decided to try and turn my attention to the private cemeteries, say not those in the control of the council. Is there a catholic diocese I could write to in or around Hertfordshire?