Author Topic: Mitchell Smyth Rankin - Garvagh  (Read 148 times)

Offline rankpin95

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mitchell Smyth Rankin - Garvagh
« on: Sunday 06 August 23 13:29 BST (UK) »
Mitchell Smyth Rankin is my 3 times great grandfather, born c.1850 in Garvagh, died 1934 in the town. I am guessing he was named after the Church of Ireland minister of the time, Rev Mitchell Smyth in Garvagh, I think that was common enough then.  He married Ellen Farlow from Leck in 1882. The name Mitchell has been passed onto each generation since.

Mitchell and Ellen had 3 children, Mitchell junior, Ellen Jane and Margaret Ann. The former two were born in Garvagh according to birth certs, the latter was born in Killaloo, Claudy in Co. Londonderry. Mitchell (father) was listed as a servant on this cert in 1886. In 1901 he was living in Glenmanus in Portrush, working as a coachman for John Beresford Beresford. In 1911 he owned his own farm in Moneysallin between Lislea and Killygullib. He bought it in 1906. His Father Leslie died in 1904.

Was Mitchell just moving to wherever he could make money and save enough to eventually purchase his own farm? Strange to move between Garvagh, Claudy and Portrush? His father maybe left him some money to aid in buying it. I know his son Mitchell Junior had enough to buy a large farm on the Tirkeeran road in the 1920's.

Side note, if anyone has any accounts of Mitchell Smyth Rankin Junior (1892-1987) or his son Mitchell (1926-1997) that would be great. Both spent their whole lives in Garvagh. I need to visit the museum in the town soon. Or recommend some local history books.

Best