Author Topic: Townland Antrim Gardens (Main Street) 1833?  (Read 277 times)

Offline jnomad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Townland Antrim Gardens (Main Street) 1833?
« on: Sunday 06 August 23 15:17 BST (UK) »
I find entries like this in the Tithe Applotment Books, under Antrim parish, among other entries placed in townlands (e.g. Ladyhill). As far as I can tell, there’s no townland called Antrim Gardens; with the street, it looks like a location in Antrim town (townland Antrim TownParks?). Is it? And why does Antrim Gardens seem to be treated as if it were a townland? Is that a former townland name?

Offline jnomad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Townland Antrim Gardens (Main Street) 1833?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 August 23 18:39 BST (UK) »
To clarify: I found these entries on the index on Irish Genealogy Hub. County Antrim doesn’t figure on the National Archives website; does anyone know why not? Family Search evidently has digital copies of the pages, but to see one I would have to go to a FS library.

Offline jnomad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 August 23 18:41 BST (UK) »
To thicken the plot: on that index there are also entries with townland Town Parks.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 August 23 18:51 BST (UK) »
The Tithe Applotment Books on the 'nationalarchives.ie' website don't cover the north, they only cover a very few areas, eg. in Armagh and Down.

Instead, you can see the records on the PRONI website (via its e-catalogue), and most importantly, it's the actual images. You can see at the link below how to access them, the first time I tried it took a bit of faffing about, but once you're in, it's fine.

https://www.irishgenealogynews.com/2019/11/northern-irelands-tithe-applotment.html

I looked at Antrim in the Books and after Antrim Townparks, it listed Antrim Gardens, which is also later written as Antrim Town Gardens.  Under Antrim Gardens / Town Gardens, it listed the likes of Mill Row, Scotch Quarter and Main Street.  Reading these forward to Griffith's Valuation, these are all listed in the Town of Antrim, which is listed separately but within Townparks.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 August 23 18:57 BST (UK) »
To clarify: I found these entries on the index on Irish Genealogy Hub.

Link at Irish Genealogy Hub
http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/antrim/tithe-applotments/antrim-parish.php

As Gaffy said, PRONI, Belfast has the tithe applotment records via their e-catalogue.
https://apps.proni.gov.uk/eCatNI_IE/SearchPage.aspx

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 August 23 18:59 BST (UK) »

Instead, you can see the records on the PRONI website (via its e-catalogue), and most importantly, it's the actual images. You can see at the link below how to access them, the first time I tried it took a bit of faffing about, but once you're in, it's fine.

https://www.irishgenealogynews.com/2019/11/northern-irelands-tithe-applotment.html

The full PRONI reference you need to 'view' (parish of Antrim) is FIN/5/A/13 and the stuff you want to look at starts about 7 pages in.

Offline jnomad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 August 23 20:18 BST (UK) »
Many thanks. You saved me the faffing about, gaffy!

Offline jnomad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 August 23 20:25 BST (UK) »
I'm still curious about the townland nomenclature. As you say, gaffy, the likes of Mill Row, Scotch Quarter, and Main Street seem to figure in Griffith's Valuation within Townparks. Was Antrim Gardens/Town Gardens a sub-townland of Townparks? Which became obsolete later, just swallowed up into the main townland?

This is now only idle curiosity. I have the record of the person I was interested in!

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 August 23 22:16 BST (UK) »
I had a quick read of the Ordnance Survey Memoir for Antrim parish by James Boyle (May 1838), particularly the bits about Antrim Town, however there was no mention of Antrim Gardens or Town Gardens.

But agreed, I could see it simply being an earlier  subdivision of Townparks.