Author Topic: Glenlyon, Fortingall, McNaughton connection.  (Read 412 times)

Offline kathy-9

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Glenlyon, Fortingall, McNaughton connection.
« on: Sunday 06 August 23 20:14 BST (UK) »
I wonder if there is anyone in the Group who can help me? I have two different McNaughtons who I believe originated in Glenlyon, Fortingall but I can’t join them together. The names of all the family members are so close that they confuse me every time I try to make sense of them. My grandfather was Duncan McNaughton Cairns, mother Elizabeth McNaughton, born Dull, Perth, lived many years Inveraray, Argyll,  married Robert Cairns 1866 Lawers, Perth, lived thereafter in Alva, Clackmannanshire.
The other thread is Mary Leith McNaughton, born 1819 Fortingall, married Donald McDougall in the Gorbals, Glasgow 1840. Her father was Duncan McNaughton, 1774-2851.

I believe these two threads are linked somewhere in the Glenlyon timeline, I just can’t work out where.
I know there are many of you have great knowledge of Glenlyon and I would be really grateful for any help I can get on these two threads.
Thank you in advance!!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Glenlyon, Fortingall, McNaughton connection.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 August 23 17:33 BST (UK) »
The marriage certificate of Robert Cairns and Elizabeth M(a)cNaughton will tell you the names of Elizabeth's parents. Get it from www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk at modest cost.

If Mary Leith M(a)cNaughton or M(a)cDougall died in Scotland after 1855, her death certificate should tell you her mother's name.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline kathy-9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 August 23 21:28 BST (UK) »
My problem is linking the two families together. I don’t know how to do this, there are so many similar names in both threads of both families.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 August 23 22:22 BST (UK) »
Well if you get those two certificates they will take you back another generation closer to a possible link.

Donald MacDougal and Mary MacNaughton had seven of a family: John, Duncan, Dougall, William, Catherine, Christina and Mary. In 1851 Donald was aged 40, so born 1810/1811, and born in Kenmore. Mary was 32, so born in 1818/1819.

If they followed the naming tradition you'd expect Donald's parents to be John and Christina, and Mary's to be Duncan and Catherine.

There is a Mary MacNaughton, parents Duncan MacNaughton and Catherine MacGregor, baptised in Fortingall, but she was baptised in 1812, so if her age is accurate she's a bit older than Donald's wife. However there is a death of Mary McNaughton, other surnames McDougall and Leith, aged 78, mother's maiden surname Macgregor, in Stirling in 1897. If I were you I would have a look at that death certificate and see if it tells you anything useful.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline kathy-9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 September 23 18:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you!

Offline Kmaleski

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 October 23 18:23 BST (UK) »
Mary McNaughton born 1819 at Milton Eonan, Fortingall. Died 20 Aug 1897 at Stirling, Stirlingshire.
Parents were Duncan McNaughton of Kerrowmore and Christian McGregor of Culdamore.

Her husband Donald McDougall was born 1811 at Croftintygan, Kenmore to John McDougall of Cuiltrannich and Catherine McNab of Blarliargan. Died Glasgow Tradeston 30 Jan 1859.
Researching McKercher, McKerchar, McKerracher, McKericher and the families of Fortingall, Weem, Kenmore, Killin and Dull parishes.

www.mckercher.org

Offline Kmaleski

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 October 23 18:39 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth McNaughton born 1866 Appin, Argyll to Duncan McNaughton of Milton Eonan and Mary McIntyre of Argyll. Died 21 Jul 1951 at Stirling.

Duncan McNaughton was the son of John McNaughton of Balinloan and Margaret Anderson of Litigan.
Researching McKercher, McKerchar, McKerracher, McKericher and the families of Fortingall, Weem, Kenmore, Killin and Dull parishes.

www.mckercher.org

Offline kathy-9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 October 23 21:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much! You have got me the link I have been looking for! So very special!