Author Topic: JOHN DICK 1921 ex- ROYAL FIELD ARTILLERY  (Read 607 times)

Offline trevalyn

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
JOHN DICK 1921 ex- ROYAL FIELD ARTILLERY
« on: Monday 07 August 23 17:28 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me to find the burial place of JOHN  DICK who died on 20 May 1921 after service with the Royal Field Artillery. Aged about 58, he had been medically discharged with the rank of Sergeant on 3 Sept 1917. He died at 205 High Street, Kinross where he lived with his wife Jemima. It is believed that she emigrated to New Zealand after his death.  Prior to war service he had been a Fireman (underground) - presumably in coal mining ?  No trace of burial found in records of Perth and Kinross Council so looks like he is buried in a church graveyard. Any help with tracing his burial place would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: JOHN DICK 1921 ex- ROYAL FIELD ARTILLERY
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 August 23 18:01 BST (UK) »
If you haven't already seen it he's commemorated on the CWGC website and in the National Book of Remembrance.  His service details include his regimenatl number 23994 and the fact that he served with 50 Reserve Battery RFA.
His service record has survived among the burnt documents, and fortunately they are not badly damaged. I appreciate that you were asking about where he might have bee buried, but if you want to access his documents they are on FindMyPast at https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2FWO363-4%2F007292400%2F00450&parentid=GBM%2FWO363-4%2F7292400%2F23%2F450
and will also be available on Ancestry. His address on discharge looks more like 265 High Street Kinross. You are probably aware that he had previously joined up in 1880.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 August 23 19:01 BST (UK) »
I'm guessing/assuming that you have seen his service record. From that you will know that a Rev FH Williamson of the Manse, Kinross wrote to the War Office on behalf of John's widow to arrange for a widow's pension to be paid. It might be a good idea to track down the Rev Williamson in any street directories or electoral registers for Kinross and see where his church was. I think it's a fair bet he may have buried John. Obviously the Scotland 1921 Census is also an option although I'm not sure how easy it is to search on just a common surname and an address on Scotlands People.

Added. It seems the most likely church is just called the Kinross Parish Church located on Station road. John Dick was Church of Scotland so if he was a church-goer this would have been the church he attended while living in the High Street. The church has a graveyard but it looks very sparsely populated: https://www.google.com/maps/place/56%C2%B012'18.0%22N+3%C2%B025'22.8%22W/@56.2053305,-3.4230318,129m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m4!3m3!8m2!3d56.205!4d-3.423?hl=en&entry=ttu

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 August 23 19:39 BST (UK) »
Maybe I was wrong about the Church of Scotland. Here's an extract from a biography of mathematician John Williamson;
Biography
John Williamson was born in The Manse, Kinross, where his father was the Presbyterian minister. He attended the Edinburgh Academy from 1912 to 1919. He sat the Leaving Certificate examinations passing Mathematics, Latin, Greek, French, and English at Higher grade. After having passed the Preliminary Examination, Williamson first matriculated at the University of Edinburgh in October 1919.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 August 23 20:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Kiltaglassan,
I did look, briefly, for that feature but didn't find it.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 August 23 21:00 BST (UK) »
Not really relevant to the OP's problem of finding where he is buried, but there's a mention of John Dick in the Kinross-shire Advertiser of 20 February 1915 (image below). Unfortunately the head of the page is cropped off so the exact purpose of the listing is missing, but from the context it seems to be a list of all the local men who had enlisted in the Armed Forces.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 August 23 21:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Kiltaglassan,
I did look, briefly, for that feature but didn't find it.

No problem, Andy
It's a useful resource!

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo