Author Topic: JOHN DICK 1921 ex- ROYAL FIELD ARTILLERY  (Read 606 times)

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: JOHN DICK 1921 ex- ROYAL FIELD ARTILLERY
« Reply #9 on: Monday 07 August 23 21:17 BST (UK) »
Re my earlier posting about the Kinross-shire Advertiser, I can confirm the listing was not of the dead or wounded. A near identical list including, the same entry for John Dick, was published on 14 August 1915 and again on 11 September 1915, with the heading Roll of Honour.

Offline trevalyn

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 07 August 23 22:48 BST (UK) »
I am very grateful to you both for your inputs. It appears that there was another John Dick (Black Watch)who died in France in Sept 1915. Re the churches - it is my understanding (and I am open to correction) that the Church of Scotland is in fact Presbyterian. On that assumption, it looks like Kinross Parish Church should be my next port of call and I will follow up that route. Thank you both.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 12 August 23 17:06 BST (UK) »
Maybe I was wrong about the Church of Scotland. Here's an extract from a biography of mathematician John Williamson;
Biography
John Williamson was born in The Manse, Kinross, where his father was the Presbyterian minister.
The Church of Scotland is a Presbyterian denomination.

A Presbyterian kirk or church or sect or denomination is one which is organised by tiers of committees, not by a hierarchy of bishops. In the C of S every parish had a kirk session, which is a committee consisting of the minister and elders. The next tier was the presbytery, which is a committee consisting of the ministers and one elder from each parish in the area covered by the presbytery. Above this, the next tier was the Synod, and finally the General Assembly.

As far as I am aware, the term 'presbyterian' in Scotland did not indicate adherence to any particular set of religious dogma or beliefs, though it may have been different elsewhere.

The best source (in my opinion) for finding information about Scottish presbyterian ministers is https://www.ecclegen.com/ which in spite of its sub-title also includes ministers of the Church of Scotland and some others as well as the ministers of the Free Church of Scotland.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 12 August 23 20:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the clarification Forfarian. Despite having Scottish ancestors, I was not aware of the detail about the governance of the Church of Scotland.