Author Topic: Marriage of Charles Hamilton and Susan Johnstone in 1839.  (Read 319 times)

Offline deigo1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage of Charles Hamilton and Susan Johnstone in 1839.
« on: Monday 07 August 23 20:09 BST (UK) »
Hello, I was trying to locate a copy of my great grandparents marriage record Charles Hamilton and Susan Johnston(e).  Charles would have been born around ~1820 and Susan's age seems to vary, but somewhere in the 1821-1825 range. The date from their children's birth records point to their marriage Feb. 14th 1839 in Ballbay, Co. Monaghan, and another brith record indicated  Feb 1839 Aghnamullen Co. Monaghan (both of these records were part of later kids born in Scotland).  In the early 1840's they moved to Scotland, and most of their kids were born there based on the 1851 Scotland census, except for the oldest Mary Ann Hamilton, who was born in ~1842 Co. Monaghan, Ireland.

The parents names are not known unfortunately, as Charles died in an Asylum in Scotland in 1864, his parents are not listed on his death record. I haven't been able to locate Susan's death record, although it appears the family likely moved to England between Charles death and 1871.  After this, most of the kids I have been able to trace were married in England and came to the US in the early 1880's.

The first at least living son's name is William, so I'm not sure if that is good indicator of the father's name for Charles.  There was one family tree that did show Susanna's parents on Ancestry as John Johnston and Joanna Molary, but nothing I could find linking that is this Susanna.  That link also showed the document of catholic parish baptism record in 1825 in Armagh and Down Ireland for her...again not sure.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Charles Hamilton and Susan Johnstone in 1839.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 August 23 20:59 BST (UK) »
The date from their children's birth records point to their marriage Feb. 14th 1839 in Ballbay, Co. Monaghan, and another brith record indicated  Feb 1839 Aghnamullen Co. Monaghan (both of these records were part of later kids born in Scotland). 

Might this be the civil parish of Ballybay in Co Monaghan?
https://www.townlands.ie/monaghan/ballybay/

Aghnamullen civil parish and its townland-
https://www.townlands.ie/monaghan/aghnamullen/
https://www.townlands.ie/monaghan/cremorne/aghnamullen/anny/aghnamullen/

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline deigo1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 August 23 21:18 BST (UK) »
I believe so, I've added a picture of the information from the two birth records from Scotland.

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 August 23 23:35 BST (UK) »
Ballybay Catholic registers only survive from 1862

https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0289

Church of Ireland

RCB - Original records held by the Representative Church Body Library, Churchtown, Dublin 14

Marriages 1822-2006, some coverage at Rootsireland

https://www.ireland.anglican.org/cmsfiles/pdf/AboutUs/library/registers/ParishRegisters/PARISHREGISTERS.pdf

Debra  :)

Offline deigo1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 August 23 17:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you... so hoping they are not Catholic.  Being new to Irish genealogy, with the RCB are you able to engage with them to do a search, since we know they hold that church and I have the approx. date for the marriage?

Thank you!
D.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 August 23 18:38 BST (UK) »
Being new to Irish genealogy, with the RCB are you able to engage with them to do a search, since we know they hold that church and I have the approx. date for the marriage?

Maybe!
Quoting 'The Library does not provide a genealogical research service.  Specific details can be checked for a fee but general genealogical research cannot be undertaken by the Library staff. To request a search, please visit our online store, store.ireland.anglican.org/genealogy.'

https://www.ireland.anglican.org/about/rcb-library

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline deigo1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 August 23 18:49 BST (UK) »
Yes that is an interesting wording, so understand the maybe.  I submitted a search request, will see what they come back with and post back here.

I'm hopeful it's more like if you have information and want them to search something specific for a fee they will, but they aren't going to research your family.

Offline TomUSA

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 November 23 05:48 GMT (UK) »
Charles Hamilton and Susan Johnson are my great great grandparents.  Their marriage date is 17 Feb, 1839.  Their children are Mary (1842), William (1844), Charles (1846), Thomas (1848), Dinah (1850-1923), Susan (1852), Rachel (1855), Gavin (1856-1928), Sarah (1859) and Margaret (1862).  Susan gave birth to another child, Eliza, in 1865 after Charles died in 1864 at an insane asylum in Edinburgh. Mary was born in Ireland.  The next eight children were born in Linlithgowshire Parish of Bo'Ness Scotland.  Margaret and Eliza were born in the Parish of Cambusnethan, Scotland.  Susan and some of the younger children moved to Spennymoor, Durham, England.  Susan died after 1875 in Spennymoor.  Rachel was the mother of my grandmother.  Dinah was the stepmother to my grandfather.  Dinah and Gavin died in Bevier, Missouri.  Rachel married Charles Castling Scurrah who died in Grundy County, Illinois.  I have no other records on Rachel.

Offline deigo1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 November 23 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Yes that is an interesting wording, so understand the maybe.  I submitted a search request, will see what they come back with and post back here.

I'm hopeful it's more like if you have information and want them to search something specific for a fee they will, but they aren't going to research your family.

Following up, the RCB has responded to my search over the last few days.  The fee was 10 euros, to perform the search.  Unfortunately, they were not found in Ballybay parish, the other notation from one of the childrens birth records was Aughnamullen.  That parish as with many other were lost in a fire in 1922.