Author Topic: Marriage of Charles Hamilton and Susan Johnstone in 1839.  (Read 318 times)

Offline deigo1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Charles Hamilton and Susan Johnstone in 1839.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 November 23 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Charles Hamilton and Susan Johnson are my great great grandparents.  Their marriage date is 17 Feb, 1839.  Their children are Mary (1842), William (1844), Charles (1846), Thomas (1848), Dinah (1850-1923), Susan (1852), Rachel (1855), Gavin (1856-1928), Sarah (1859) and Margaret (1862).  Susan gave birth to another child, Eliza, in 1865 after Charles died in 1864 at an insane asylum in Edinburgh. Mary was born in Ireland.  The next eight children were born in Linlithgowshire Parish of Bo'Ness Scotland.  Margaret and Eliza were born in the Parish of Cambusnethan, Scotland.  Susan and some of the younger children moved to Spennymoor, Durham, England.  Susan died after 1875 in Spennymoor.  Rachel was the mother of my grandmother.  Dinah was the stepmother to my grandfather.  Dinah and Gavin died in Bevier, Missouri.  Rachel married Charles Castling Scurrah who died in Grundy County, Illinois.  I have no other records on Rachel.

Tom, good to meet you and thank you for your post. I am a descendent of Thomas. I have more details on the other children I can share.  I will send you a private message.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Charles Hamilton and Susan Johnstone in 1839.
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 08 November 23 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Charles Hamilton and Susan Johnson are my great great grandparents.  Their marriage date is 17 Feb, 1839.  Their children are Mary (1842), William (1844), Charles (1846), Thomas (1848), Dinah (1850-1923), Susan (1852), Rachel (1855), Gavin (1856-1928), Sarah (1859) and Margaret (1862).  Susan gave birth to another child, Eliza, in 1865 after Charles died in 1864 at an insane asylum in Edinburgh. Mary was born in Ireland.  The next eight children were born in Linlithgowshire Parish of Bo'Ness Scotland.  Margaret and Eliza were born in the Parish of Cambusnethan, Scotland.  Susan and some of the younger children moved to Spennymoor, Durham, England.  Susan died after 1875 in Spennymoor.  Rachel was the mother of my grandmother.  Dinah was the stepmother to my grandfather.  Dinah and Gavin died in Bevier, Missouri.  Rachel married Charles Castling Scurrah who died in Grundy County, Illinois.  I have no other records on Rachel.

Tom, good to meet you and thank you for your post. I am a descendent of Thomas. I have more details on the other children I can share.  I will send you a private message.

TomUSA, welcome to RootsChat  :)

If you make at least one more post, you will be able to receive the PM from deigo1.

Good Luck!

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo