Author Topic: FindMyPast has decided I'm a "Nibling" !!!  (Read 3132 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FindMyPast has decided I'm a "Nibling" !!!
« Reply #27 on: Friday 08 December 23 16:52 GMT (UK) »
It's amazing how alert to 'discrimination' white, Christian males have become.  As long as they got an automatic ten bonus points for their race, ten for their sex and ten for their religion they were satisfied that the playing field was fair and level.  But it's only five bonus points now and they feel aggrieved.

I watch the TV documentary programmes showing immigration controls of a few countries.   

I don't have a male brain, thus don't know what they think.  Having seen images of a male and a female brain, I think females can be far more devious- and judging from the late night scenes of drunken lewdness performed by females they couldn't care less what males do.

I once asked my father why my mother didn't go out and work.  He was quite passionate in his response that he didn't want anyone to think that he could not look after his family.

Now that females have declared they're equal to men, many parents are now raising children that know no boundaries and think whatever anyone else has, they want it no matter what it takes to get it.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Shropshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 08 December 23 17:16 GMT (UK) »
I’m just confused.  About 18 months ago one of my grandchildren no longer recognised as the sex assigned to them at birth.  So all of a sudden I had a grandson.  It is the least of my worries if he now recognises as male as he is still my flesh and blood.  What throws me though is people referring to him as they and them.  It is so ingrained in me that I cannot accept plural for one person in my mind and keep looking for the extra person. 
As for a nibbling I’m only a half, my father had a different father, so am I a nib or a ling?

It isn't easy to remember at first but it will become automatic with time. 

They and them have always been used as singular in English when we don't know the gender - "Someone has left their coat; I hope they come back for it" - "We've got a new neighbour but I haven't met them yet".

I've used niblings for years - much easier than saying 'nephews and nieces' every time.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 08 December 23 17:23 GMT (UK) »
"Having seen images of a male and a female brain, I think females can be far more devious"

Really?  I was unaware of that physical difference.  The brain's deviousness structure must be a recent discovery.  Granted, it's been a lot of years since I took comparative anatomy, and I never did take a phrenology course.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 08 December 23 17:32 GMT (UK) »
"Having seen images of a male and a female brain, I think females can be far more devious"

Really?  I was unaware of that physical difference.
Apart from one being pink and one being blue, you mean?

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 08 December 23 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Now that females have declared they're equal to men.....
How dare they?

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 08 December 23 17:51 GMT (UK) »
How dare they?

You mean females are superior. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 08 December 23 19:10 GMT (UK) »
"he didn't want anyone to think that he could not look after his family"

Interesting.  Despite any career interests she might have had, she had to stay home to boost his ego.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 08 December 23 22:22 GMT (UK) »
How dare they?

Exactly......any woman who wishes to be equal to men has no ambition!
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 09 December 23 15:29 GMT (UK) »

Really?  I was unaware of that physical difference.  The brain's deviousness structure must be a recent discovery.  Granted, it's been a lot of years since I took comparative anatomy, and I never did take a phrenology course.

We're never too old to learn.   

I can't find the images that I viewed years ago, but I see that the Telegraph newspaper has printed images of the male brain which shows communication travels from front to back and back to front. 

Underneath is and image of the female brain, which shows most thoughts travel from one side of the brain to the other side of the brain.

I'm left handed and my train of thoughts often differ from my counterparts - I'm not bothered about the whys and wherefors - yet. :-p)

Oops - I forgot to include the url:-

url link

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01su1/

For some reason this link isn't showing the page I looked at, but it does show a few illustrations of male/female brains.  Click on the Telegraph images to be taken to the explanation.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke