Author Topic: Diary Summary Week Ending 13 August 2023  (Read 1213 times)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diary Summary Week Ending 13 August 2023
« Reply #9 on: Friday 11 August 23 11:55 BST (UK) »
I seem to be forever clearing  out, sorted through hundreds  of photos this week, did find a batch of 1977 Street party ones, sent some across  to my neighbour whose wife's has her funeral next week,  the committee dressed up as majorettes,  Inclining  me and we did a routine, practiced for hours after dark, the chairperson was a man and he dressed up as a majorettes, it was such fun, nothing, in my opinion  has happened like that since,  what memories?.

RTL, 3 more days towards your retirement, I retired a bit early as I went to look after my mum, come home and didn't take a job up anymore, I had a few years at home on my own till my husband retired, then it was all change again, you will wonder how you had time to go to work once you retire, there is always  someone who wants you...

Had a busy  week, went to help clear out an area around  the church organ, organists wants 2 X 6ft wardrobes gone,  so 3 of us, women, combined ages of 248 years would you believe dismantled them, I got stuck inside on  my hands and knees trying to unscrew the fittings,  had to have the other 2 to pull me up, must say jolly hard work but it was a laugh,  plenty of cups of tea and a short sit down, hope the organist appreciates what we have done, we also have a barrel organ that is being repaired..

Viktoria, hope all is well with your friend and your sons move

Take  care

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 11 August 23 13:10 BST (UK) »
RTL I’m just ahead of you as I retire later this year after all that goalpost moving! I’ve had the paperwork for the state pension but I’m not allowed to apply for my bus pass till 2 weeks before my birthday. Apparently every council has different rules as to when you can apply.
LM I’m still laughing at the mental picture of you all dismantling wardrobes. Churches get a bit of stick  but you do get some laughs from time to time and great camerarderie when alls running well.
North East of England

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 11 August 23 14:42 BST (UK) »
Well CF,  as you can imagine 3 of us are getting on, I am in the  middle,  we said we should have set a video with the antics we got up to, I did try to salvage the stainless steal handles but was told not to bother, so I didn't,  they would have come in handy for someone,  what a laugh, it really was good hearted which helped as it was hard work, must be careful what I put my hands up for !!

The  time I got my bus pass  I was  60, it is a real shame now the goal posts have been moved by far to may years in my opinion, with my bus pass I can get on most busses after 9am, countryside busses are after 09.30,  many a time on holiday we have walked a few stops to be there by 09.30,  not saved any money but it was better than waiting  at the bus stop.

LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 12 August 23 08:54 BST (UK) »
Yes, you do have some good laughs .
At one of our fairs, a lovely lady,very deaf and 88 years old, was manning the White Elephant stall —- Bric a brac etc. Another  lady had just driven to the fair to help and put her shoes behind the table with all the sale goods on it.She did say “ I will just put my driving shoes here “ —- but stall holder did not hear her!
The Second Lady just went to get them coffees .

A customer spotted the shoes ,tried them on and asked the price ,something ridiculously cheap so bought them .
So when the owner came back her shoes  had gone!
The deaf lady was mortified ,but shoe owner saw the funny side until she heard how cheaply they had been sold for.
They were something special and I think £2 was the asking price when they had cost much much more !
Oh dear, lovely 88 year old offered to buy another pair but shoe owner would not hear of it .Saw the funny side.
Viktoria.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 12 August 23 09:04 BST (UK) »
Oh gosh Viktoria   think I will  keep my eye on whatever I have behind the counter  I am  one of a few who like to stand behind the counter, others prefer to stand in front, my bag and my bazaar bag are  behind the counter on a chair, you would not believe what I have in my bazaar bag, all useful stuff  that others haven't thought of bringing,  cellotape, scissors,  cardboard, you name it I have got it..

Enjoy your weekend everyone, who would believe, half way through August.

LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 12 August 23 12:48 BST (UK) »
LM, yes, people do tend to say that they don't know how they had time to work after they have retired.  I do expect to keep busy after retirement but I will take breaks.  No more working 12 hours flat out and if someone needs me after I have only had 5 hours sleep, they had better be dying. ;)
It was a bad start to the week - 12 hour shift late finish then no more than 5 hours sleep then another 12 hours early start shift.  Lesser hours after that but I felt drained by then.  It's this type of thing I am looking forward to seeing the back of.
Are you looking forward to retirement Candleflame or do you have mixed feelings about it?  Do have plans for your freed up time?
SiL messaged me the other day asking if I wouldn't mind picking up her prescription for her.  She is struggling so much now with her  walking.  After I had picked it up, I felt for my monthly bus pass but it wasn't in my jacket pocket where I usually keep it and I thought, oh no! it might have dropped out on the other bus!! I waited for a bus with the same number and told the driver what had happened.  I hoped he could radio through to ask the other driver to check but he said I would have to ring the office but he didn't have the number.  A very kind elderly passenger opened his wallet and took a note out  and asked how much my fare was and said he would pay.  I feel guilty now, as I didn't really thank him for his kind and generous gesture because I was feeling very flustered at the time.  I did not take him up on his offer.  I got off the bus and retraced my steps back to the chemist and was told there that no one had handed it in.  Eventually, I did find it - I must have absentmindedly put it in my purse - what a relief!
Woke up in the early hours this morning feeling very blah and with a sore throat.  I did a test just in case and fortunately it came back negative.
Welcome to RootsChat and the diary thread Fawadalam. :)  Strange, but I don't recall seeing your post appear the other day and I wonder how it is that you have no posts recorded yet you have made one?  Have you had a good week?  It would be good to hear a little about yourself. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 12 August 23 16:03 BST (UK) »
RTL, you are a Saint,  I really don't know how you function with the amount of hours you work and the least  of hours you sleep , I don't have good nights now but I am not working,  I always slept well up until recent years, my husband always complained he didn't sleep well, our daughter bought him one of those all singing and dancing watches, he hasn't complained since, he has plentry of hours sleep and has a granddad's sleep  during the day,  for women  it is called a nanny nap apparently.

What a kind chap who offered to pay your fare, you might have the opportunity to thank him properly  if you meet him again on your bus, I am pleased you found  your bus pass , St Anthony is the patron Saint of finding things I am told.

Have a nice weekend everyone.
LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 12 August 23 19:17 BST (UK) »
Glad you got home safely RTL. And found your pass.
I don’t know how you do the amount  you do. ,

Rain again today, jumpers still being worn very often as it is so cool most days.
Anyone who is not convinced about climate change must be in denial!

Just thrown away lamb chops from Tesco ,£8 for two chump chops.
Cooking instructions followed to the second but still quite tough .
Well never again.
I must start to disbelieve the blurb!Gullible fool that that I am!

Must wash my hair this evening ,easier to get out to Church if I do that.
Must check what dates I put myself down for ,to help at the JigSaw Festival.

Hope all are well, look after yourselves folks .
Viktoria.
P.S.     L.M. Our organ is massive ,it is like a small room.
Stored in sort of inbuilt cupboards were hundreds of hand written music scores for our long defunct local band .Every instrument.
The BandMaster was also Church Organist for ever so many years .

He was followed by his son whose tenure was 67 years.
He taught my daughter the piano.
He must have been only a teenager when he took on the position .
I knew of the scores ,saw them whilst looking for some extra large vases when doing my daughter’s wedding flowers .The organ’s “ works “ are in the vestry, the huge “ bellows” .
No idea where they are now, I looked for them to show our young organist who is amazing ,but the organ has had a massive overhaul recently.
 It makes the building shake!
It is a marriage of two organs ,one from Brompton Oratory  and  the original .
I hope they are stored somewhere but what to do with them,?no local band now.
Viktoria.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 12 August 23 19:44 BST (UK) »
Viktoria
For some unknown reason I don't have much  luck with lamb chops, I have no idea why, they don't come from Tesco  I might add,  lamb is very expensive.

It started off quite warm this morning , went to Chelmsford where we had a few spits of rain,  as we got home a few more spits of rain but in both places the ground stayed dry, I left my washing out all day and it came in dry, happy bunny.

I wash my hair Saturday evening  so that I look reasonable for Sunday, next money making scheme is sung evensong with cream tea  on 26th,  once again I am roped in, it will be hard on my legs as I will be on my feet for hours.

Grandaughter  not long back from backpacking in Asia is off to Germany tonight, hasn't got any money, surprising what you can do without  funds, I need to have a lesson from her.

Take care

LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London