Author Topic: Is there an easy way to clear data from an iPad before giving it away?  (Read 390 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Is there an easy way to clear data from an iPad before giving it away?
« on: Tuesday 08 August 23 12:17 BST (UK) »
I got a new iPad a while ago, chiefly because I needed more storage capacity. I want to give my old iPad to someone in my household, sharing the same Wi Fi. I looked into erasing my data from it, but didn’t really understand what I read. I’m worried about accidentally erasing stuff like all my FH files and photos I’ve taken, from the new device as well as the old one. Even though they are backed up, I think it would still be major hassle to mess with them.
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
Re: Is there an easy way to clear data from an iPad before giving it away?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 August 23 13:50 BST (UK) »
By backing up, do you mean to iCloud? iCloud is attached to your Apple ID rather than the iPad so removing files from your old iPad shouldn’t be a problem.

Personally, I would also connect the iPad to my pc and download all my photos etc., then reset to factory setting once I am happy I have everything securely backed up. Alternatively save them to Dropbox or other online cloud storage.

Assign your new ipad to the same Apple ID. Your photos should still be accessible in icloud, all your notes and contacts should move over too. Any apps that didn’t install, can be downloaded and set up again.

Note… create a new Apple ID for your old iPad for the person you are giving the iPad to.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 August 23 19:52 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your advice.

Dave :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 August 23 11:26 BST (UK) »
If you use Apple’s cloud storage to backup all your data then everything on your old iPad should have been copied to your new iPad during the boot up and initial setup of the new iPad.

If you did not use this feature then do tell us.

Resetting the old iPad will return it to fresh out of the Box state all be it with the latest OS that you installed.  All personal data will be erased.

Settings > General > Reset iPad

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 August 23 19:52 BST (UK) »
If you use Apple’s cloud storage to backup all your data then everything on your old iPad should have been copied to your new iPad during the boot up and initial setup of the new iPad.

If you did not use this feature then do tell us.

Resetting the old iPad will return it to fresh out of the Box state all be it with the latest OS that you installed.  All personal data will be erased.

Settings > General > Reset iPad

Thanks. Yes, I did use that feature, so hopefully I’m worrying unnecessarily. I do back up my iPad regularly to iCloud, especially if I’ve downloaded anything important. I’ll try a reset of the old iPad.

Dave  :)