Author Topic: Herbert James Coooper 1909 - 2005  (Read 436 times)

Offline Meggiejayne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Herbert James Coooper 1909 - 2005
« on: Tuesday 08 August 23 13:44 BST (UK) »
So I'm searching for information on who I believe is my husband's maternal grandfather.

He was a Canadian serviceman stationed in Sussex, around Newick, in 1943 predominantly. I know that his name was Jack Cooper and he was from Toronto. We know that he survived D Day and the War. The only unit in the area at the time and from Toronto were the Queens Own Rifles I believe.

From help from the people on the WW2 Forum I think I have found a possibly candidate.

This is a member of the Queens Own Rifles. This unit was stationed a mere 10 miles from where my husband's nan was living. Dates in the war diaries tie up with many events that were in a book written by my husband's aunt about their life. He is the only Cooper on the embarkation list of the QOR when they departed from France in June 1944. 

This serviceman was B138893 RFN Cooper HJ.

I have matched this person up with a Herbert James Cooper born 1909. His obituary is reported in The Toronto Star as having died 31st December 2005. He was married to a May Ferne Woollard.

Unfortunately I don't have Worldwide Ancestry access and the only records I've found on FindMyPast is his obituary.

I would be grateful if anyone could help with a birth, his parents and a marriage. I'm really looking for any clue that might explain the name Jack as opposed to Herbert/James.

I have a feeling that this person is our elusive Jack but who knows.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Herbert James Coooper 1909 - 2005
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 August 23 14:11 BST (UK) »
Herbert James Cooper was a letter carrier and lived with Mrs Mary F Cooper at 137 Roslin Avenue. Eglington according to Canada Voters List 1949

Canada Voters List 1958 - Herbert Cooper - same address as 1949
Residence Date   1958   Toronto, Ontario.
Electoral District   Eglinton
Occupation - Watchman

There are other Herbert Cooper but no middle initial so hard to check.

James might indicate Jim rather than Jack  :-\

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 August 23 14:30 BST (UK) »
If I might kindly say that this could be a delicate situation.  Might there be a possibility that he had two families; or, perhaps he remained in England for a number of years (with just one family)?

I know of two instances where the servicemen each had a family in Ontario only to later have families in England as well (with neither family knowing about the other).

As you may know, Canada has strict privacy laws.  Unfortunately, it may be difficult to find “recent” documents.  Is your family fairly certain that he was born in Toronto, or, did he possibly live there just prior to the war?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 August 23 14:39 BST (UK) »
Previous post on same person with replies
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=875379.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Meggiejayne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 August 23 14:45 BST (UK) »

Offline Meggiejayne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 August 23 14:51 BST (UK) »
Herbert James Cooper was a letter carrier and lived with Mrs Mary F Cooper at 137 Roslin Avenue. Eglington according to Canada Voters List 1949

Canada Voters List 1958 - Herbert Cooper - same address as 1949
Residence Date   1958   Toronto, Ontario.
Electoral District   Eglinton
Occupation - Watchman

There are other Herbert Cooper but no middle initial so hard to check.

James might indicate Jim rather than Jack  :-\

Sandra

Thank you.

However I'm now wondering whether this is the Jack I'm looking for.

I have found an obituary for a John Alfred "Jack" Cooper, born 12 May 1925 and died 2016. He served with the Toronto Scottish Regiment and was involved in D Day as part of the 2nd Infantry Division. Its just now finding whether this regiment was in the right area of Sussex and in the right time scale.

My mother in law only found out about this after a letter was found in her mother's effects following her death. The only information we have (MIL died a few years ago) is that his name was Jack Cooper and he was from Toronto and he survived the war. Her mother received letters from his mother thanking her for looking after her son whilst he was in England.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 August 23 14:53 BST (UK) »

this is my post

I realise that but I have posted the link so people trying to help you are aware of information that you have already been given.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Meggiejayne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 August 23 15:10 BST (UK) »

this is my post

Oh sorry, didn't realise that...however I think I may have been going down the wrong route with HJ.

I realise that but I have posted the link so people trying to help you are aware of information that you have already been given.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 August 23 15:14 BST (UK) »

Sandra

Thank you.

However I'm now wondering whether this is the Jack I'm looking for.

I have found an obituary for a John Alfred "Jack" Cooper, born 12 May 1925 and died 2016. He served with the Toronto Scottish Regiment and was involved in D Day as part of the 2nd Infantry Division. Its just now finding whether this regiment was in the right area of Sussex and in the right time scale.

There is an ancestry tree for this gentleman.

Do you know what his mothers name was (did she sign the letter) ?

FIND A GRAVE

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/157388672/john-alfred-cooper

Not sure it is fair to the familiessof these men, to name them on here when you are not sure who you are looking for, this could cause problems.  (Especially if they have left families who can google and find this information) :-\

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada