Author Topic: Living DNA  (Read 496 times)

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
  • Expect the unexpected (I forgot to!)
    • View Profile
Living DNA
« on: Tuesday 08 August 23 15:49 BST (UK) »
I tested with Ancestry and uploaded my test data to MyHeritage, FamilyTreeDNA and Gedmatch. It is often suggested that one should also upload to Living DNA but I wonder what experience others have of doing so?

I've read from their website that it is necessary to pay to obtain a regional report i.e. where my DNA seems to come from, but I am pretty much aware of that already, so all I am really after are additional matches. I can't see clearly whether they are only available if I pay them or whether they are available just by virtue of uploading.

So broadly I'm interested in your experience i.e. did you get any new matches, was there a cost involved and whether it's worth doing?

I am not in the slightest interested in their wellbeing analysis by way of footnote. 

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Living DNA
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 August 23 17:12 BST (UK) »
Yes, if all you want are matches, you can transfer your test in for free. They show DNA matches under "Family Matching".

You can view and contact matches, view shared matches, and they have recently added a chromosome browser. The latter is in beta, but shows the usual information re chromosomes, match positions and lengths.

If you are already on the sites you mention, you will probably find that you recognise quite a few of the matches, but I have had a handful of useful (to me) matches that weren't on the other sites. People who tested through Find My Past until recently, will be on Living DNA, as they were FindMyPast's DNA partner.

Anything else that Living DNA offer at a cost is purely voluntary.
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire

Offline CorleyMiller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 August 23 17:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The chromosome browser is £19 to access.

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 August 23 17:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The chromosome browser is £19 to access.

Ah, I didn't realise that. I usually access my matches through my paid test profile!
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 August 23 17:45 BST (UK) »
I tested years ago with Ancestry.

A couple of years ago I uploaded to Gedmatch, My Heritage, My Living DNA & Family Tree DNA.

My Heritage gave two match’s that helped my brick wall

My Living DNA has given one who is a Cousin to the two on My Heritage, there are plenty of other who match but none have trees that help.

Those on My Heritage and My Living DNA are not on Gedmatch.

Agggh, DNA can be very frustrating, with people taking the test then doing minimal follow up

Offline Murrell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 August 23 22:40 BST (UK) »
Hi I'v tested with Myheritage and Ancestry and uploaded from Ancestry to Livingdna.
I haven't had any success with Livingdna and assume that's just the way things go.
Power Ward Rooney  Southern Ireland

Offline Petros

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 August 23 08:45 BST (UK) »
I've had some close matches on there who aren't on other sites. Remember it is very UK focused.

I've had much less joy on FamilyTree DNA although a 2C, not on other sites, has suddenly appeared there

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
  • Expect the unexpected (I forgot to!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 August 23 21:52 BST (UK) »
OK so I uploaded my Ancestry DNA test to LivingDNA, opting not to take their own DNA test, buy an annual subscription or find out what kind of Viking or Neanderthal I am, despite daily reminders. Today I got my matches which, unlike other sites, are stored in "Degree" silos. On the 1st page, my highest matches are called "6th Degree" at 113cM and 81cM. My next listed match at 47cM is called a "7th Degree" match. My next 5 listed matches are relegated to "8th Degree" but all 5 of them are higher cMs than the lonely 7th Degree above! Next, I'm into my "9th Degree" matches, but the top one of those is more cM than all the 8th Degree and the single 7th Degree match. That's the end of the first page of matches.

The second page starts at 7th Degree again and a cursory glance at the ones below shows that the Degree silos they are in are just as arbitrary as on the first page.

I am not at all impressed so far!