Author Topic: Kingseat Hospital  (Read 270 times)

Offline pollymann

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kingseat Hospital
« on: Tuesday 08 August 23 17:15 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out if an address on a death registration was part of the Kingseat Hospital village. I have a relative who died in 1951 at the infirmary in Aberdeen but her usual address was Moss-side, Parkhills, Dyce. As far as I know she lived in an institution but do not know why. On the 1921 census she is living at home with her parents in Clatt. Her mother dies shortly afterwards and in 1926 her father is advertising for a housekeeper so I think she may have gone to live somewhere in this period. On the death registration the informant is a John McMath who is, what looks like, the occupier.
Henderson, McCormack, Smith, Dalziel, Robison, Muirhead, Riddick, Irving, Raffle, McKeig, McGhie, McCulloch, Walker, Murray, Blacklock, Beaty. McKie, Wilson, Dickson, Holliday, Robson, Bryden, Muir - Dumfriessshire /Kirkcudbrightshire.
Tough, Gordon, Allan, Henry/Hendry, Reid, Pirie, Hardie, Longmuir, Leslie, Copland, Forbes, Thompson, Rutherford, Meldrum, Leid, Ironside, Rennie, Ronald, Thom, Simpson, Wilson, Sim and Young - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire.
Noble, Gray, Bird - Durham/Northumberland

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kingseat Hospital
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 August 23 18:19 BST (UK) »
Looking at the 1935 and 1940 valuation rolls for the parish of New Machar, "Croft and House Moss-side, Parkhill, Dyce" is owned and occupied by Alex. W. S. Buchan. He is mentioned as being there in a newspaper advertisement in November 1944.

In a newspaper advertisement, Andrew Carle was at Moss-side in October 1947 and still there in August 1977.

It doesn't sound as if it was ever part of he Kingseat estate.

Offline pollymann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 August 23 18:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I hadn't thought of looking at the valuation rolls. I had just tried electoral registers and she didn't appear on any that I could find. Perhaps she was just working in the house then.
Henderson, McCormack, Smith, Dalziel, Robison, Muirhead, Riddick, Irving, Raffle, McKeig, McGhie, McCulloch, Walker, Murray, Blacklock, Beaty. McKie, Wilson, Dickson, Holliday, Robson, Bryden, Muir - Dumfriessshire /Kirkcudbrightshire.
Tough, Gordon, Allan, Henry/Hendry, Reid, Pirie, Hardie, Longmuir, Leslie, Copland, Forbes, Thompson, Rutherford, Meldrum, Leid, Ironside, Rennie, Ronald, Thom, Simpson, Wilson, Sim and Young - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire.

Offline Countryquine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 August 23 22:59 BST (UK) »
I may be getting the wrong end of the stick - but Parkhill is some distance from Kingseat, so an address at Parkhill would not likely form part of Kingseat Hospital. 

Do you mean a different address which was the address at death?  I lived only a few miles from both Parkhill and Kingseat, and actually worked at Kingseat Hospital as a student one year.

I can remember many of the villas and their names so could possibly assist.  Please PM me if you prefer.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 August 23 06:45 BST (UK) »
Kingseat is in the parish of New Machar. Parkhill is at the boundary with the neighbouring parish of Dyce. They are about 4 kilometres apart. Therefore the address on the death certificate is not part of Kingseat Hospital.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline pollymann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Kingseat Hospital Completed thank you
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 August 23 10:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all the replies. I think I might have misunderstood the story of her being in an institution and focused on Kingseat as it appeared on electoral rolls with Parkhill. I have now received her entry on the 1939 register and she is definitely at the address in Parkhill and described as 'incapacitated'. I have tried to find a connection between her and the family living at Moss-side but no luck so far.
Thank you again for the help and suggestions.

Offline Countryquine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 August 23 11:38 BST (UK) »
It is possible that the family took in people as boarders if they also needed looking after, so the connection was perhaps only as service providers.  There may be clues to this in the rest of the record.   A relative of my mother-in-law stayed with a woman nearby as a boarder, between losing her carer and going into a hospital.   This was in the late 50s.