Author Topic: Comments on Ancestry.com  (Read 1073 times)

Offline jnomad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Comments on Ancestry.com
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 09 August 23 14:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks. I’ve tried adding comments to another person’s tree, and it’s just the same. It’s not my trees, it’s me! Are they punishing me for getting my subscription without paying the full price?

Online Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 09 August 23 15:09 BST (UK) »
I only pay half price and have no problem like yours so not that. Can you try using a different device?

Offline jnomad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 09 August 23 16:32 BST (UK) »
Good thought. On my laptop "view comments" gets a thing that spins and spins and spins, even on a person on whom there are no comments; I got tired of waiting for it to open a box for a comment, which is what used to happen. (I hardly ever do Ancestry on my laptop.) I will talk to a person when I have time. It's interesting that nobody else has said "me too".

Offline jnomad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 09 August 23 20:13 BST (UK) »
I chatted online with someone at Ancestry. We established that the browser on the laptop I’ve been using is too old. It’s the most recent that that laptop can run; I need to accept that the laptop is past it. The comments function works with a newer browser on a different device. Still not on my tablet; I had to stop the chat to see if what the person suggested would help, and it didn’t. So I’ll have to open another chat some time.

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 12 August 23 17:15 BST (UK) »
My Laptop is about 15 years old and runs Ancestry just fine.

If you are using a Microsoft Browser try downloading and using another browser like Firefox, which is free.

Offline jnomad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 12 August 23 17:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you.

I'm using Safari on an old Mac laptop (not quite as old as yours). It does most things I want to do on Ancestry, just not adding comments. And that laptop is at the limit of its possibilities of being upgraded. A newer Safari on a newer laptop adds comments OK. I'll try a different browser on the old laptop.

Safari, the resident browser, on my iPad still doesn't allow me to add comments. Surely I'm not alone among Rootschatters in mostly engaging with Ancestry on an iPad. It seems absurd if the program won't run properly on the iPad's resident browser.

Offline jnomad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 12 August 23 18:42 BST (UK) »
I tried installing Firefox on my iPad. I can’t add comments any more than I can with Safari. I’ll try Firefox on the elderly laptop. But it looks as if I need another chat on Ancestry.

Offline jnomad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 12 August 23 21:59 BST (UK) »
It turns out that can add comments using Firefox on the elderly computer.

I can add them using Safari on my wife's iPad, which is much newer than mine; it's up to date at OS16.6. My iPad is said to be up to date running 15.something; I think the point is that the hardware won't let it run 16.whatever. And I can't add comments on my iPad using its resident Safari, or even using Firefox. I haven't tried other browsers on it.

I have three devices on which I can (so far at least) add comments on Ancestry trees. But not the otherwise perfectly serviceable iPad. I do rather resent the pressure to buy a new one when the old one does almost everything I want it for. And I don't know why Ancestry's program won't do everything with Safari unless you're using a quite recent version.

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 12 August 23 22:23 BST (UK) »
I have three devices on which I can (so far at least) add comments on Ancestry trees. But not the otherwise perfectly serviceable iPad. I do rather resent the pressure to buy a new one when the old one does almost everything I want it for. And I don't know why Ancestry's program won't do everything with Safari unless you're using a quite recent version.

I agree it is infuriating that we  are pressured into buying new iPads etc.

I am having similar problems, I can run the Ancestry app but can no longer  open Ancestry website on my iPad, because  the OS which  has reached it maximum updates.

I can no longer use the Sainsbury’s app for the same reason, even the their website is now sluggish on the iPad.

I know I can still do everything on my phone, but it’s so restrictive because of the size.  I am having to resort to using my laptop for Ancestry and shopping.

It’s seem inevitable that I must bite the bullet and buy a new iPad.😱 😢
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.