Author Topic: Joseph Marie? Le GALLIC/Le GALLIE  (Read 568 times)

Online haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph Marie? Le GALLIC/Le GALLIE
« on: Wednesday 09 August 23 03:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone
    The above is supposedly born in France, son of Peter (unknown mother).  Joseph was in South Australia where he married Harriet Hall 7 Feb 1876 his age was given as 24 district Adelaide

* His name is spelt Le GALLIE on this marriage record though

I have check for a naturalization record but found nothing.

He died Joseph died 14 June 1920

Express and Telegraph (Adelaide, SA : 1867 - 1922), Thursday 17 June 1920, page 2

LE GALLIC.—On the 14th of June, at his daughter's residence (Mrs. W. Waller), Water-street, Semaphore, after' much suffering, Joseph Marie; late of Port Lincoln, aged 67 years." Peacefully, sleeping.

I have seen his name also as Joseph Pharmarian Le GALLIC ?

Does anyone know where  I could possibly find a baptismal record or anything re travel/immigration?

Any help or idea of how to start searching for this mans origins would be wonderful.  Many thanks Dianna (Sydney Aus)

Online Zefiro

• RootsChat Veteran
  • breeze from the west
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Marie? Le GALLIC/Le GALLIE
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 August 23 11:31 BST (UK) »
In order to find his baptismal record in France, we need some facts. Place (or region) of birth would be good to start with. Without something solid, there's no way of knowing for sure if a certain birth record that could be that of your man actually relates to him.

The above stated, I can offer you a birth record of a Joseph Marie Le Gallée, with father Pierre (french version of Peter) and mother Marie Jeanne Le Guillaux. He was born 19 december 1852 in Saint-Jean-Kerdaniel (Côtes-du-Nord).

https://sallevirtuelle.cotesdarmor.fr/EC/ecx/consult.aspx?image=090025539025667

Online haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 August 23 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Zefiro
Thanks very much for your reply.  Well the difficulty I am having purchasing a death certificate from South Australia is one of the reason's I have not been able to supply further information, if it exists!

I've been trying to buy Joseph's death certificate to see if it gives an actual town/region (details) of birth at all. 

Hopefully I will be able to sort this out soon.  Blimey LOL. 

Thanks very much for the information you provided, could end up being him I hope.  Time will tell.  The link did not work for me though.  Kind regards and many thanks Dianna

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 August 23 10:02 BST (UK) »
Le Gallic and  Le Gallie are typical names of Brittany ( Bretagne) in France.
I think that Joseph Marie are probably his christian names, unfortunately very common in France in those days.
Pharmarian does not not mean anything , probably a mistranscription.
You can find a tree on Genanet that has this person as Joseph Pharmarian ...

What was he doing for a living?

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 August 23 11:33 BST (UK) »
The link did not work for me though.  Kind regards and many thanks Dianna

I was being nosey  ;D and wanted to have a look myself, but the link doesn't work for me, either. Timeout/Page cannot be accessed:(
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 August 23 11:45 BST (UK) »
It works for me , it may not work for you because you are out of France. Do you use a VPN ?

Online Zefiro

• RootsChat Veteran
  • breeze from the west
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 August 23 12:01 BST (UK) »
It works for me , it may not work for you because you are out of France. Do you use a VPN ?

It works for me, but I'm not in France either.

The link did not work for me though.  Kind regards and many thanks Dianna

I was being nosey  ;D and wanted to have a look myself, but the link doesn't work for me, either. Timeout/Page cannot be accessed:(
I have a Familysearch -link, but unless you have an account, you won't be able to view it either.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C3Q9-9QLL?i=133&cc=4320583&cat=781566

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 August 23 12:16 BST (UK) »

Good point. Not on my work laptop. I'll try it on the one downstairs (with VPN) later!  :)
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Online haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 August 23 20:13 BST (UK) »
Hi I have just opened through family search.  Fantastic.  I can make out a few words.  Looks like they are a farming family! (perhaps).  Anyway I will match it up to what ever I find here (Australia) and take it from there.

I was lucky yesterday to find a newspaper clipping apparently from Joseph M Le Gallics son in law when he was serving in WW1.  I will see if I can snip a little bit of it here.  A really good find!

Will type a bit of instead:-  "A Letter from Malta" West Coast Recorder 18th April 1917.  The following kind and homely letter was received last week by Mr. J. M. Le GALLIC of Port Lincoln from his son in law (Mr J CANT), Who is on the medical staff of one of the Australian warships.

"Very, very close to La Belle France now.  I have met and fraternised with several of your compatriots and am always proud to be able to say that my wifes father is a Frenchman" etc

John Gant married Joseph's daughter Elfreda Rose in 1912. John refers to Rose and children in the letter.

John and Elfreda later divorced.

It will be great if the baptism that has been found is correct.  Will be nice having it printed out and in French.  Many thanks to all.  Regards Dianna