Author Topic: Newbie help please - have hit a brick wall  (Read 2001 times)

Offline morganvj

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie help please - have hit a brick wall
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 20 August 23 11:02 BST (UK) »
I've found Frances/Fanny on other Ancestry users' family trees. Including a photo!

Nothing significant wrt her split from Daniel though.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 20 August 23 11:38 BST (UK) »
Lizzie posted the link to the divorce earlier;  I highly recommend you obtain it.  It should be full of dates and addresses, and as Geoffrey was named as a co-respondent, this pretty much screams adultery.  It is odd that Barbara was stashed away in Kent with Maud Patti Clara Coombe; did Daniel even know about Barbara??  Perhaps the divorce would shed light on that.

Here's the link again:
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C8029648

When you click on "Request a copy", you will first get an explanation of the costs.  There is a nonrefundable cost of £8.40  for them to see if it is indeed there, and in good enough shape to be copied.  After that, the cost for copying is just based on the amount of pages, and they will give a quote before proceeding.   You can go digital, or paper.

I have ordered several before, and the information in them was quite astounding, and certainly cleared up a lot of questions.  If memory serves, it takes at least a month to get the copy.

Offline morganvj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 20 August 23 12:19 BST (UK) »
Lizzie posted the link to the divorce earlier;  I highly recommend you obtain it.  It should be full of dates and addresses, and as Geoffrey was named as a co-respondent, this pretty much screams adultery.  It is odd that Barbara was stashed away in Kent with Maud Patti Clara Coombe; did Daniel even know about Barbara??  Perhaps the divorce would shed light on that.

Here's the link again:
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C8029648

When you click on "Request a copy", you will first get an explanation of the costs.  There is a nonrefundable cost of £8.40  for them to see if it is indeed there, and in good enough shape to be copied.  After that, the cost for copying is just based on the amount of pages, and they will give a quote before proceeding.   You can go digital, or paper.

I have ordered several before, and the information in them was quite astounding, and certainly cleared up a lot of questions.  If memory serves, it takes at least a month to get the copy.

I will. Thanks for the link  :)

Offline morganvj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 21 August 23 14:08 BST (UK) »
My Dad has ordered the Ancestry DNA test kit, so, with those results plus the information from the divorce petition, I think we'll get to the bottom of who Barbara's father was.

I suspect it will be Geoffrey, not Daniel. I've enjoyed getting to "know" Daniel though. He had an interesting life - appears to have qualified as a doctor then a dentist, and lived in the Isle of Man, London, Hereford, South Wales, and then back to the Isle of Man at the end of his life. His second marriage was a long one. He went to the same university as I did!  :)