Author Topic: Church Bank Cemetery  (Read 318 times)

Offline Keith Sayers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Church Bank Cemetery
« on: Thursday 10 August 23 13:15 BST (UK) »
    Am I right in presuming that the records for this cemetery have not yet been transcribed into a searchable database?  If not I would be wiling to make a start if someone could photograph some of the register pages
    I know the place, having once visited when I was looking up relatives on Tyneside.  I have found two that were mine - my Uncle Joe and Auntie Ruth - but think there may be others under various surnames as the married around.  The only way I will find them is via a systematic search.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Church Bank Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 August 23 13:21 BST (UK) »
You will need to remove your email address from your post, people can contact you by private message
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 August 23 10:48 BST (UK) »
I think this is very commendable but there might be problems.
Bereavement services have the original registers.  North Shields local studies has the registers on microfilm.
I am not sure if it would even be allowed to photograph and email entries.
Even if it is, someone would probably have to scroll across and it might take 3 photos per page and some images might be dark and may not photograph well.

There are huge burial tomes at the local studies giving year and surnames in alphabetical order.  Perhaps make a list of your numbered list potential ancestors + year potentially at Church bank.  Then to start you could ask for the books to be checked. 

Someone might be able to get back saying for example numbers 1, 5 & 15 are in the Church Bank volumes number 24 not there.
Then you could ask for specific look ups on microfilm.
eg Fred Bloggs 1892 Church Bank.  I think as I recall the entry numbers are also in the volumes.  The volumes are marvellous for giving a fast check to see if someone of a specific name is recorded and this can save wasting time on a potentially fruitless search on microfilm.

I think you may well be able to find them even without the systematic search you originally proposed.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 August 23 17:50 BST (UK) »
I have just added 17 Sayers' burials at Church Bank Cemetery to Find a Grave.
Just name and year all quickly found in the huge burial tomes.
I do not know which of these might have any relevance for you.  The full entries will be on microfilm.  But this is a start in verifying names of who is buried there.
You might like to take a look to see if anyone of relevance to you is recorded.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Keith Sayers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 August 23 12:16 BST (UK) »
Dear (Lass?)

Thank you for your reply.

>  You will need to remove your email address from your post, people can contact you by private message

Point taken, this was my first post to RootsChat so I was not sure of procedure.

> I think this is very commendable but there might be problems.
>  I am not sure if it would even be allowed to photograph and email entries

It is happening elsewhere.  The Leeds Indexers have made a start on the Lawnswood cemetery wherein are interred my parents and maternal grandparents.

> Even if it is ..... some images might be dark and may not photograph well.

Yes, I can see that but I have some familiarity with Leeds cemetery registers and they are clear enough that it should be possible to mount a camera above an open page (or pair of), click, and then proceed.

> I think you may well be able to find them even without the systematic search you originally proposed.

You encourage me!  But that would mean me leaning on SKS to do the searching.  Is there likely to be anyone else on Tyneside interested in Church Bank for their own genealogical research?  That would be someone with whom I could swap notes with a reasonably clear conscience.

> There are huge burial tomes at the local studies giving year and surnames in alphabetical order.

Wow! That would seem a better source than the cemetery registers.

> Perhaps make a list of your ... potential ancestors + year potentially at Church bank

Something like that should be possible.  I could certainly produce a list of surnames but death dates may have to be guesses. Let me think a bit, (I still can but at 84 somewhat slowly!) and I will see what I can come up with.

And now I have to work out this PM system!  But as I have not yet made three posts I will put this in as simple reply  and hope it reaches you.     file:///home/keith/Smilies/presence_online.png

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 August 23 16:05 BST (UK) »
As I said elsewhere recently, you can save a lot of typing in projects like this by grabbing a list of names from FreeBMD. See:
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=875232.msg7471335#msg7471335

I'm currently using this to transcribe burial/cremation listings from the local rag into spreadsheets to upload to Find a Grave.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 August 23 22:06 BST (UK) »
Currently there are 847 Memorials - (88% photographed) on Findagrave for Church Bank, Wallsend. Here is the link to the cemetery -

https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/2270194/church-bank-cemetery?

Gen in Northumberland, UK
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE