Author Topic: Help with identification of regiment and name  (Read 1484 times)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Help with identification of regiment and name
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 10 August 23 15:18 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline louisemcm

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 10 August 23 15:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information.
I would love to have found out how he knew my relatives in Ipswich as that seems quite a journey from Harlesden.
I have a lovely letter from him, sent to my great-grandmother thanking her for sending a huge parcel out to him and reminiscing about tea-parties in Ipswich. His Colonel G A Harding (?) also writes in the letter too. I've attached his signature - do you think it is GA or JA Harding?
Would his Colonel have been in the RAMC too? Were the members of the RAMC kept together?
I'm so grateful to you both for your help.

Offline louisemcm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 10 August 23 15:26 BST (UK) »
His birth is on freebmd - March qtr 1891 Chelsea?

What is your interest in him?

I think he might have been a suitor to my grandmother (referred to as Edie in the letter). She kept the letter and his photo until her death. She married my grandfather in 1929 and I'm not sure if  I imagined that she had a previous attachment to perhaps Ernest Palmer before him. She was born in 1899.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 10 August 23 16:30 BST (UK) »
RAMCTF - Royal Army Medical Corps Territorial Force

ADDED - for starters  :)
C of L -  C of London Field Ambulance

C is for Company
Just a slight correction, it's either County of London or City of London, not company. A much later (1995) RAMC unit had the title 256 (City of London) Field Hospital but I can't see any direct connection with an earlier First World War Field Ambulance. If the CWGC entry is correct and his unit was 2/2 Field Ambulance then this unit was attached to 59th (2nd North Midland) Division. However given his unit was raised in London I am doubtful about the 2/2 Fd Amb designation.
More on the work and composition of a WW1 Field Ambulance on the Long, Long Trail: https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/the-evacuation-chain-for-wounded-and-sick-soldiers/field-ambulances-in-the-first-world-war/

Offline louisemcm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 10 August 23 16:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Andy
Here is the first page of his letter which has his details at the top.
Does that help with finding where he was?
I've just found a medical entry saying he had trench foot in Nov 1916 - which is actually mentioned by the Colonel in the letter later on!
Kind regards

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 10 August 23 18:15 BST (UK) »
RAMCTF - Royal Army Medical Corps Territorial Force

In early 1917, the British Army renumbered all serving members of the Territorial Force , the new numbers issued were 6 digits hence his record showing 510175

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 10 August 23 22:43 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately 'A section' only narrows him down to the first of 3 sections (the others being named B and C)) which made up a field ambulance. Every standard Field Ambulance would have had the same composition, and unfortunately his letter doesn't include his unit's name. Maybe it was on the back of the envelope.  You can see the structure of A section in the link I included in my previous post. He would have been one of 54 Private soldiers in A section, assuming the unit was up to full strength. The likelihood is that he was a stretcher bearer - an exceptionally dangerous job. The letter is ambiguous on this point.
I am still trying to locate his Commanding Officer Lt Col GA Harding RAMC

Offline louisemcm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 11 August 23 16:46 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately 'A section' only narrows him down to the first of 3 sections (the others being named B and C)) which made up a field ambulance. Every standard Field Ambulance would have had the same composition, and unfortunately his letter doesn't include his unit's name. Maybe it was on the back of the envelope.  You can see the structure of A section in the link I included in my previous post. He would have been one of 54 Private soldiers in A section, assuming the unit was up to full strength. The likelihood is that he was a stretcher bearer - an exceptionally dangerous job. The letter is ambiguous on this point.
I am still trying to locate his Commanding Officer Lt Col GA Harding RAMC

Thank you so much Andy
I've attached the middle two pages of the 4 page letter here. Unfortunately, there was no envelope with the letter.
He mentions several other names and I don't know if that would help find his unit?
Thank you so much for your help.
Kind regards

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 11 August 23 18:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the other pages of the letter, I must admit I was wondering how Col Harding came to be writing in the same letter. The letter as a whole indicates a fairly close relationship between Mrs Nuttall and the men of the Field Ambulance. Perhaps she had some connection with them in the early years of the war. Although there are other people referred to rather cryptically (the twins, our Bungalow friends) I'm not sure this is going help identify them. From Pte Palmer's service details which you provided it looks as though once they were deployed on operations they were just referred to as 2/2 London Field Ambulance without the  LofC bit. The Long Long Trail website says this unit served initially with the 58th (2/1st) London Division until February 1916 and then with 56th (London) Division until the Armistice.
According to Wikipedia 58 Div spent most of the first three years of the war in reserve in the UK, significantly in the Ipswich area for part of that time:
Training.
In August 1915, the division concentrated around Ipswich in Eastern England and received the number 58, its brigades being numbered 173–5. Here it formed part of First Army in Central Force. In September 1915 the 1st Line artillery brigades went to France and were replaced by the division's own 2nd Line units. In the Spring of 1916 the division took over a sector of the East Coast defences. Then in July 1916 it went to Sutton Veny on Salisbury Plain for final training before deploying overseas. [...] The division began embarking for France on 20 January 1917 and had concentrated by 8 February. It then served for the remainder of the war on the Western Front.
Clearly from the letter, which is dated 2 April 1917, the Field Ambulance is in France somewhere and is by now part of 56 Infantry Division.
The Long, Long Trail has a useful article about the 56th Division and the actions in which it was involved, here: https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/order-of-battle-of-divisions/56th-1st-london-division/

My guess is that 2/2 London Field Ambulance would have been acting in direct support of one of the Brigades (167, 168 or 169) although without seeing any of the operation orders for the various battles I wouldn't want to guess which. If that information does come to light it should be possible to narrow down more precisely where on the battlefield Pte Palmer met his death. If you would like to follow up on this particular aspect, search the TNA website for the war diaries of those three brigades. Most of them have been photographed but are not digitized, so you will need to download them (for free, once you have registered with TNA) and then do your best to stumble through the often tiny handwriting and copious military jargon in the hope of of seeing a reference to 2/2 Field Ambulance. The most likely place within the diaries will be if they included a copy of an operation order (OpO) for a particular phase of the battle. The good news is that, if there is an OpO, it will have been typed and so be easier to read. You will probably need to scroll towards the end of any OpO to where they talk about supporting troops. However if there had been no change to the previous order of battle, it is less likely anything will be noted about the medical support.