Author Topic: 1925 USA NY State Census Naturalization Location for Samuel  (Read 226 times)

Offline trees241

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1925 USA NY State Census Naturalization Location for Samuel
« on: Thursday 10 August 23 19:24 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

As I look for leads in finding my great-grandfather Samuel, there is a 1925 New York State Census which asks about Citizenship and Naturalization location/date. The field summary reads: "If naturalized, when and where." Being able to decipher this will help me potentially confirm if this Samuel is the one I am looking for. Documents I have seen show Texas to be where his Petition was filed/stamped, etc, in 1918, while a soldier. (He originally lived in NYC and was born in Austria-Hungary).

The order of information seen in the attached examples:

Nativity: Austria
Number of years in the US: 30
Citizen or Alien: (looks like Alien Cit.)
If naturalized, when and where: ???

He was also stationed in Kansas, but there is no evidence he was naturalized there. Other entries in this enumeration for "If naturalized, when and where:" are "First papers", "Brooklyn 1919", "N.Y. City 1912", "NY City 1922".

Thanks for any help, let me know if you need more info.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1925 USA NY State Census Naturalization Location for Samuel
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 August 23 19:31 BST (UK) »
"Am cit."
"(from parents)"

So - American citizen (from parents).
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 August 23 23:17 BST (UK) »
It is possible that he was born in Austria but was able to claim American citizenship through his parents who were American citizens.  In some countries today where they do not have dual citizenship as of right, children inherit their right to claim the citizenship of their parents. 

You do not give us enough information other than to decipher the words so we cannot give any advice on this aspect. 

Offline trees241

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 August 23 00:17 BST (UK) »
As far as I know, Samuel's parents were born in Austria-Hungary. So while "from parents" looks correct, I am not sure how that could work. There is an aspect to the life story amongst my research that could explain this: given that he left his family behind in 1917 (wife, 2 kids; wife in 1925 stated she hasn't heard from him in 8 years), records showing he joined Army in 1917, stated on his 1919 naturalization form he had no family/children (he did), changed his name in 1921 while still in army, (after an initial legal attempt in 1920), shows that if this record is him, he may be falsifying some information. More research pending.

Thanks for the help with the suggestion of "from parents".

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 August 23 02:08 BST (UK) »
Did the parents ever live in the US? And, if so were they naturalised?

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 August 23 08:03 BST (UK) »
Prior thread about Samuel…

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=868442.msg7469608#msg7469608

In 1925 it looks like his occupation was food checker(?)

Possibly that man, in 1930:
Queens, New York 1930 Census
Samuel Lewis, age 41, Married. Age at first marriage: 37. Born in Austria as were parents. Immigrated 1900, naturalized. Occ: Steward, Restaurant.  Veteran, WW.
Residing with wife, an 18 year old daughter, a 2 year old daughter, and a boarder.

I’m not including names for privacy reasons.

Added: they were living in Washington, D.C. during the 1940 and 1950 census.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)