Author Topic: Could you help name new North Shields Square after important historical figure?  (Read 1095 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=Jp5rjNc0lEO37_EQyVXw_N3PLE8ebMdImgBiAaASsoNUOTYyVFRSMVlHNUdHOEFOUEFIVFhZTDVEMC4u&origin=QRCode&wdLOR=c7C6F09A8-9943-49DF-AE6A-170EB3C8E6C0

A new public square will be opening in North Shields soon and the local council have shortlisted four people  who lived in and made significant historical impact in this town.

Contenders:
Thomas Brown
Ellen Lee
Charles Minto
Mary Ann Macham

We now have an opportunity to vote on who this new square will be named after:

“We invite anyone who lives, works, or visits in North Shields to take part and have their voices heard.. "

Closing date for submissions is 25 August.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Sandrafamilytree

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Could you help name new North Shields Square after important historical figure?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 August 23 09:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that interesting post. I have placed my vote.

I knew of all four people when I read about them, though I would never have recalled their names.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Could you help name new North Shields Square after important historical figure?
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 August 23 10:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for voting Sandra. :)
I am still struggling to decide between them as they all seem such worthy contenders.  I'm going to mull on it some more and will likely make my choice by tomorrow.

I will post on here in due course when the 'winner' is announced by the council.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Sandrafamilytree

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 August 23 10:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for voting Sandra. :)
I am still struggling to decide between them as they all seem such worthy contenders.  I'm going to mull on it some more and will likely make my choice by tomorrow.

I will post on here in due course when the 'winner' is announced by the council.

If only they had included North Shields Mariner John Smith in the list... they could have done all the background research for me, instead of leaving me with yet another ancestor brick wall with a ludicrously common name...  ;D

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 August 23 10:47 BST (UK) »
Oh, nightmare Sandra! ;D

Have you tried the burial tomes and index cabinet at the local studies?  This might help in the search but I agree it sounds like you have your work cut out. ;D ;)

Offline Sandrafamilytree

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 August 23 11:02 BST (UK) »
Oh, nightmare Sandra! ;D

Have you tried the burial tomes and index cabinet at the local studies?  This might help in the search but I agree it sounds like you have your work cut out. ;D ;)

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm hoping to go to Local Studies fairly soon, with my long list of 'problems'.  I'm not hopeful of getting further back with John Smith, as he must have been born around 1770. I'm at least grateful I've got that far.

Maybe I'll have better luck with the William Smith on the other side of the family...  ???

... and I'm looking forward to finding the family of my husband's Irish relatives. James Kelly. That's a nice unusual name...  I'm sure I'll have that tree sorted in no time. ;D ;D

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 August 23 11:27 BST (UK) »
Yes, I remember you said you were going soon on a post.

Try the A-Z folders on the back wall too.  These are a marvellous resource and someone may have already deposited the answers you are looking for.

I once came across some research in one from someone seeking the background of his Grandmother.  They had left contact details and I tried to contact them as their Grandmother was my Great Grandfather's niece and I have already done loads of research on that side.  Sadly, I found out that  the person had since died in tragic circumstances.  I still wrote up what I knew on the other side of his sheet of paper; it seemed the right thing to do.  It felt poignant to think that he got his answers albeit posthumously. 

Even if what you seek is not in the files perhaps make a few notes and someone who has answers may respond one day.
Good luck for when you go, Sandra! :)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 September 23 18:07 BST (UK) »
The new bus station opened last weekend.  However, the name of square has not yet been revealed.  However, I have heard a rumour that the forthcoming name will be revealed possibly at the end of this week.
I will let you know once I find out.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 September 23 17:52 BST (UK) »
I have since heard that there is going to be a formal naming ceremony for this square but it is all still up in the air regarding what date this will be.  ??? I will let you know in due course, hopefully, once this is revealed.