Author Topic: Could you help name new North Shields Square after important historical figure?  (Read 1094 times)

Offline Sandrafamilytree

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Could you help name new North Shields Square after important historical figure?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 September 23 18:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the update! I'm certainly curious to know who has been chosen.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: Could you help name new North Shields Square after important historical figure?
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 September 23 17:22 BST (UK) »
and still it has no official name,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 September 23 22:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra & Radcliff
I am very curious to find out the name for the new Square too. 
It does seem very strange that they launched this naming project without seemingly having a ceremony date.  I presumed it would have happened at the ceremony when the new bus station opened. 
Hopefully, the naming ceremony will happen before winter sets in.  There is  large blank billboard in the square - I wonder if the name will be displayed on this .. eventually? ::)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 November 23 16:43 GMT (UK) »
There has been no further news about this for such a long time so I have made further enquiries higher up.

I have just received word today that preparations are afoot to have an unveiling ceremony sometime in the New Year at which the new name will be announced. :)

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 19 February 24 19:35 GMT (UK) »
At long last there is a date for the event of the naming of this Square .. :)

15 March 2024

Sorry, I forgot to ask about time but I will chase it up again.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 13 March 24 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Just an update re the time.

The ceremony for the naming of the new square will start at 10 am this Friday 15 March.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 16 March 24 07:57 GMT (UK) »
I went to the ceremony yesterday morning on way home... And the winner is..

Thomas Brown!

All very worthy contenders but I am very pleased!  He was my vote.

Offline Sandrafamilytree

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 16 March 24 09:39 GMT (UK) »
I am pleased Thomas was chosen.

He got my vote too. An incredible story.

Here's a bit of extra information for anyone who doesn't know of it.

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/news/thomas-brown-statue-north-shields.html

Thomas died in a house fire in 1945, trying to rescue his sister.  He was so brave.

I'm planning to go to Local Studies next week and will be able to have a look at the memorial. I really hope it is respected and not vandalised over time.

Thank you very much for keeping us regularly updated. It has been a long wait!  :)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 16 March 24 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the link Sandra which is very interesting.  I did know he sadly had his life cut short through a house fire.  Thomas was buried at Preston Cemetery, North Shields.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/59984787/thomas-william-brown

Yes, I too hope the memorial will be respected and not vandalised.  It would be disgraceful if it was.

I hope you enjoy your time at the local studies next week Sandra.  You are welcome re regular updates on this thread.  I agree that it has been a long time coming. and I am delighted Thomas was the winner chosen