Author Topic: 1804 Thomas Hicken baptism: how can I be sure it’s the right one?  (Read 617 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1804 Thomas Hicken baptism: how can I be sure it’s the right one?
« on: Friday 11 August 23 18:31 BST (UK) »
I’m looking for the baptism of Thomas son of Charles and Martha Hicken, born in King’s Norton in about 1804. I have found a Bishop’s transcript from Worcstershire, but it appears to be missing the top and location seems to be unknown. Are there any clues which might confirm it is him? (It looks like it might be a problem with modern cropping of the original image rather than that the original top is missing.)

Does the place Withall Chapel possibly give a clue?

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/62085/images/62085_302022005560_3627-00020?treeid=&personid=&rc=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=BeL2&_phstart=successSource&pId=414587
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1804 Thomas Hicken baptism: how can I be sure it’s the right one?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 August 23 19:56 BST (UK) »
I think I’ve cracked it. The place Wythall seems to have been part of King’s Norton, in which case it’s definitely him.
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 August 23 20:37 BST (UK) »
Hi
Previous image has "Kings Norton" written. I guess it's on the reverse side?
Next image has "Married at Kings Norton in the Year 1804" Nine marriages there.

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 August 23 20:50 BST (UK) »
I'd be looking to source a copy of the Parish Register entry (maybe from the relevant archives?) to verify / discount what you are seeing in the BT.

Boo

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 August 23 21:01 BST (UK) »
Thomas Hickin bap 27 May 1804, King's Norton, on FreeReg
https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/5d05f67df493fd1f797a78a3

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 August 23 21:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this confirmation,

Dave  :)

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 August 23 08:47 BST (UK) »
You need to bear in mind that in this time frame, the BTs were often written on huge pieces of paper and, as such, have been filmed in sections which overlap so nothing is missed but a few names may appear on more than one section image.

I searched the Worcestershire Bts on Ancestry for Thomas Hicken born 1804
I got two results, both dated 27 May 1804.
EDIT added search results link
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/collections/62085/?name=thomas_hicken&birth=1804&count=50

the one which you gave the link to just says Worcestershire in the results and is an image of just a section of the page starting part way down

the other result says Kings Norton and that image is the top part of the huge piece of paper that was used that year to record the events in that Parish and 'does' have the citation at the top.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/62085/images/62085_302022005560_3627-00019?

Boo

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 August 23 09:11 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for finding this, Boo, and thanks for the explanation. I have now downloaded this image and discarded the other.

Dave :)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 August 23 09:22 BST (UK) »
Well done, Boo.

the one which you gave the link to just says Worcestershire in the results and is an image of just a section of the page starting part way down

I didn't see the other half of the top part via that link from Dave, perhaps ancestry missed it out? :-\
Though Kings Norton does "appear" one way or another on the images on either side.