Author Topic: 1804 Thomas Hicken baptism: how can I be sure it’s the right one?  (Read 616 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1804 Thomas Hicken baptism: how can I be sure it’s the right one?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 12 August 23 10:37 BST (UK) »

I didn't see the other half of the top part via that link from Dave, perhaps ancestry missed it out? :-\
Though Kings Norton does "appear" one way or another on the images on either side.

I get the feeling that this dataset was not Ancestry's finest hour :-) You are not (ever as it stands) going to be able to navigate back/forward to find all the parts of each huge page (as I am used to doing e.g. in the Diocese of Durham BTs on FS)

Ancestry do not seem to have grasped that the images of all the sections of each page belong to the same parish - no, I have no idea why - its hardly rocket science

Look at each of the images
1 the image linked to the first result I found which  Dave originally posted starts part way down the page
at the top it says parish is 'not stated' and we are looking at image 15610 of 30280

2 the image linked to the second result I found
that says its King Norton Parish and its image 127 of 224

I am not about to check each image in each database but a quick 'spot check' of 10 random numbered images from each set leads me to believe its quite possible that Ancestry have only included the section of the page that includes the Parish name as belonging to the parish and all other sections (which may be a few from each page) are lumped together as 'unknown' parishes :-(
so for Worcestershire BTs on Ancestry there are 'potentially' 30280 images which are reported in the results as being an unknown Parish somewhere in Worcestershire.

Boo

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 12 August 23 11:01 BST (UK) »
Good grief, Boo.
I see what you mean now. I didn't think it could be that bad. I underestimated them!
Can we hope ancestry get some parish registers up eventually?  :-\
Jon

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 12 August 23 11:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Jon

This is just my opinion based on what I am seeing, I can't say for certain but taking the two images and searching for a couple of names that appear on both images
Rebecca Buckley 20 May 1804
2 results 1 Worcestershire, I Kings Norton Worcestershire

Barnett Parkes 29 Jul 1804 , 2 results as above

and a couple that are not on the image with the citation but are on the image of the next section

John Delingpole 25 Dec 1804
1 result Worcestershire

Betty Parsons 15 Apr 804
1 result Worcestershire

So I can say quite confidently that this page isn't properly recorded in the database which lends weight to the theory
Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 12 August 23 11:55 BST (UK) »

Can we hope ancestry get some parish registers up eventually?  :-\
Jon

Gotta love an optimist!
They have mangled the BTs, lets hope they get the PRS (which are possibly in the same physical format in this time frame) and see how far they can mangle those ? :-)

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 12 August 23 15:30 BST (UK) »
Apologies jonw65,Davedrave  and anyone else who has read it. When I said
" You are not (ever as it stands) going to be able to navigate back/forward to find all the parts of each huge page"

I was wrong, its taken a fair bit of firkling to suss it and its a workaround but it is possible
Though obviously Ancestry putting it right is the ideal, paying customers shouldn't have to go to these lengths.

Going back to Dave's original link, it was
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/62085/images/62085_302022005560_3627-00020?treeid=&personid=&rc=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=BeL2&_phstart=successSource&pId=414587

But we are only interested in the actual image so lose everything after the ?

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/62085/images/62085_302022005560_3627-00020?
which is the link to the actual image.
The 00020 is the important part, change that in the url to 00019 and you get
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/62085/images/62085_302022005560_3627-00019?

so thats top left and bottom left of the page (with the overlap so we can be sure its from the same page)

then change the number to 00021
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/62085/images/62085_302022005560_3627-00021?

and then to 00022
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/62085/images/62085_302022005560_3627-00022?

and you have top right and bottom right of the image of that entire page :-)
In theory , the same principle will apply to all the images in the dataset

I stitched the 4 together (badly) to show the whole page.
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/lagfvpdjqq9wkfrcuukwu/kings-norton-BT-1804.jpg?rlkey=xjt0vbkr8jg4hklfivj53ccsn&dl=0

Boo

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 12 August 23 19:04 BST (UK) »
Incredible, Boo. Thank you.
You should work for ancestry!

Reminds me, that changing the image number in the url trick can be useful for ancestry. Someone on Rootschat once demonstrated it brings up the very many missing images for some of the cemeteries featured in their England & Scotland, Select Cemetery Registers, 1800-2022 collection.

I have also used it very occasionally to find some things on there that we are not supposed to see! Though they have more or less put a stop to that now.
Jon

Offline Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 12 August 23 19:24 BST (UK) »
Incredible, Boo. Thank you.
You should work for ancestry!

wash your mouth out young man! I stopped the salaried entertainment many, years ago.
I just hate it when things don't make sense and am so nosey I just have to firkle till I have an explanation.
Now that I do have an explanation I am happy. I don't think I have 'any' folk on my tree in the Worcestershire area but if I come across one at least I'll know that ancestry have mucked up the BTs but it is get roundable!

Boo

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 12 August 23 21:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks Boo for your hard work.

Dave  :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight