Author Topic: Newspaper search  (Read 703 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Newspaper search
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 12 August 23 08:15 BST (UK) »
It would also be better if I could browse through the pages of a newspaper (as I can on some other newspaper archive sites), because sometimes the search engine doesn't pick up on any of my search words but I can still manage to find an article or BMD notice if I go to a newspaper and browse through the pages, starting approximately when I think the item might have been published.

You can, I do that on a regular basis.
e.g.to look through the edition of a particular newspaper on a specified date:

leave the Name/keywords fields blank.
Use the filters to specify the newspaper title, and the exact date you want to start at.
Click on any result and use the boxes at the top left of the image screen to get to page 1 of x

and from there you can use the arrows to page through. If you don't find what you want change the date filter to the next day.

Boo

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 12 August 23 11:17 BST (UK) »
Going back to the "Albert Prince" question, if you go to the BNA advanced search page: https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/advanced

and then enter albert prince in the "exact phrase" field, and check the "exact search" box, that will bring up exact hits.  Unfortunately a lot of them are for Albert Prince of Wales.

However you may find something useful. You can download 3 pages for free on that site, or you can note the details and look them up in FindMyPast.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 12 August 23 14:03 BST (UK) »
You can, I do that on a regular basis.
e.g.to look through the edition of a particular newspaper on a specified date:

leave the Name/keywords fields blank.
Use the filters to specify the newspaper title, and the exact date you want to start at.
Click on any result and use the boxes at the top left of the image screen to get to page 1 of x

and from there you can use the arrows to page through. If you don't find what you want change the date filter to the next day.

Boo

Thanks, Boo. I'm familiar with browsing through the pages of one edition, but can I ask for all the pages of, say, The Southern Reporter, then narrow it down to, say, 1876, and browse through whichever editions I want to check for that year? Or do I need to change the date each time?
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 12 August 23 14:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Boo. I'm familiar with browsing through the pages of one edition, but can I ask for all the pages of, say, The Southern Reporter, then narrow it down to, say, 1876, and browse through whichever editions I want to check for that year? Or do I need to change the date each time?

Well yes you can browse through the editions for any year but to get to each edition you'd need to specify the date published if you just specify a year you get 'results' of all the linked articles for that year which I'd guess would be way too unweildy without a name or keyword

so specify Southern Reporter
Date published as 1876, then month as Jan
its a weekly publication so choose 1-7 Jan and look through the edition of 6th Jan
Click on date published again, choose the Back option and pick the next week rinse and repeat till you have either found what you want or your eyes feel like they will never uncross again

It may be clunky and not be the most user friendly but it is available, and from what you say the competition doesn't have the breadth of coverage this one does.

Boo

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 12 August 23 17:07 BST (UK) »
I regularly search for death notices in Co Antrim papers especially the daily Belfast Telegraph, News-Letter & Northern Whig due to the OCR missing many name entries, surnames starting Mc or M' especially troublesome. I often know the/several exact death dates from the GRONI death index, just not if is the right John Smith. So input keyword 'funeral' and open the 1,2, or 3 papers available for death day to death+2 and read the pages. Yes have to change the date but will sometimes sort the week chronogically and right click 4 or 5 opening in new windows. Doing similar on a thumbnail display is more logical but then have to move to page 2 or 3 to find the deaths column so overall perhaps not much difference to the clunky method.

They do have Collection option currently just British or Irish, would be simple to add a Scottish tick box. Not sure an English Collection option would be useful as would likely then add a specific County anyway.
Currently the International papers eg New Zealand, India, Ontario, Caribbean are counties in the British collection.

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 12 August 23 23:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Boo & Jon_ni!
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 18 August 23 15:29 BST (UK) »
Josephine
They appear to have implemented the changes as there is now a thumbnail viewer and the screen and link format differ. However on my 1st search today it only opened for 1 result, the rest open as blank black images - useless.
There is another thread on the go https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=875688.0