Author Topic: Age at Ordination, c1820  (Read 228 times)

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Age at Ordination, c1820
« on: Friday 11 August 23 20:48 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone could tell me the typical age at which a Catholic priest was ordained, roughly around 1820.

Does 25 sound about right?

Anyone know what the minimum age might be?  Would something like 18 or 19 definitely be too young?

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Age at Ordination, c1820
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 August 23 20:50 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone could tell me the typical age at which a Catholic priest was ordained, roughly around 1820.

Anyone know what the minimum age might be?  Would something like 18 or 19 definitely be too young?

Yes. 25 sounds right. There was a minimum, though it escapes me.
18 or 19 definitely too young.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 August 23 20:53 BST (UK) »

Yes. 25 sounds right. There was a minimum, though it escapes me.
18 or 19 definitely too young.

Catholic Enyclopedia says age 25.
https://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01206c.htm
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 August 23 22:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Wexflyer

I think I've seen 23, but much earlier.  In the late1600s/early 1700s.

In reading about some of the Irish colleges on the continent, it seems like some of them (who went to college in the 1600s and 1700s) were about 30, before they returned to Ireland.

I remember coming across a suprisingly young age, for when these men sent abroad were "decided for the priesthood", in that earlier time.  Don't want to misquote it, but from memory, it was about 14.  But, obviously, that was just the career track.  Perhaps, getting some preliminary education.

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 August 23 22:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Wexflyer

I think I've seen 23, but much earlier.  In the late1600s/early 1700s.

In reading about some of the Irish colleges on the continent, it seems like some of them (who went to college in the 1600s and 1700s) were about 30, before they returned to Ireland.

I remember coming across a suprisingly young age, for when these men sent abroad were "decided for the priesthood", in that earlier time.  Don't want to misquote it, but from memory, it was about 14.  But, obviously, that was just the career track.  Perhaps, getting some preliminary education.

Precisely - to be ordained you needed to know Latin, so you needed a classical education, etc.

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 August 23 22:56 BST (UK) »
Came across a fellow ordained c1850, who went to St. Patrick's in Maynooth, who I can precisely date.  He was 26, so fairly in-line with 25.