Author Topic: Father of James harry elphick  (Read 1998 times)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Father of James harry elphick
« Reply #81 on: Wednesday 30 August 23 18:17 BST (UK) »
There are several Edward Elphicks baptised around the right time in Sussex.  Edward and Edmund are often interchanged
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jcutting

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Wednesday 30 August 23 19:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you rosie.
Seems like it was someone's tree.
Thank you for taking the time finding that information. That's really interesting. There's so many elphicks in the Sussex area . They were Very busy it seems lol.
My line of elphicks did manage to escape the realms of Sussex and settled in rotherhithe lol...
I did order the death certificate for Emily Jane elphick who died 1927 elham Kent and it should be here on Saturday  🤞
I'll let you know what's on it .
I'm also looking into a lady called harriette elphick. She is on the 1841 census for battle sussex as residing at the chequers public house and is 20 yrs.
The head of the chequers public house on the census is Emma standen, widow. She was also an elphick before marrying John standen in 1817. He died 1832 aged 43. Emma was the sister of a direct descendant of mine.
Emma standen died in 1842 and in her will she leaves a lot of money to harriette elphick and also names her as her niece and states that harriette has lived with her for many years but I can't place her with any of Emma's sisters or brothers.
Bit of a weird one but its bugged me on and off for many years lol.
There are harriette's  born at that time in Sussex but I can't find a close enough link to my elphicks that Emma would call " niece" 🤷‍♀️
Emma was born 1796 to Edward elphick and Sarah Reed, all saints ,hastings. She had sisters susannah who married Jeremiah cochrane, spitalfields but she also had a sister Sarah and I'm going to look into her next time I can get on ancestry.  That's a mission to the library as there's very little information for Sarah on family search.
This one has kept me going since the 90s 🤣

Offline Jcutting

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Wednesday 20 September 23 08:38 BST (UK) »
Well I received the death certificate of Emily Jane elphick and I was right. ( makes a change lol)
She died at helena hospital,shorncliffe camp, sandgate. Kent. In 1927 from eclampsia. 
I haven't been able to say before as I've been on my holibobs. 

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Wednesday 20 September 23 08:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you for letting us know that death was the right one.

So really, you have him sorted now.
Did the sister find anything in her attic?

Offline Jcutting

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Wednesday 20 September 23 09:01 BST (UK) »
No I don't think she's looked to be honest. I've told the grandson Ken of my findings and he's still reluctant to believe it . I've offered to send him the family tree that goes way back on his line and he seems very happy about receiving it and he said when he visits his elderly sister next he will look the suit case for any additional information 🤷‍♀️
I can't do anymore than that to be honest .
Thank you all for your  help . You've all been tremendously supportive and helpful x

Offline julianinfrance

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Friday 15 December 23 09:23 GMT (UK) »
I've also been looking into this part of the Elphick family.  Hannah was one daughter of William Elphick, a schoolmaster of Hastings who died in 1827.  He left a will which mentions his children, but not by name.  He was married to Harriet Guppy and was very anxious that his four children were properly provided for so he appointed his brother in law John Standen as joint executor and guardian in case his widow remarried.  Hannah went to live with Emma and John until Emma died.
The other siblings were Mary, Emma and William.
William became a baker but emigrated to NSW in 1838 at the age of 20 aboard the barque "Fairlie".  He later became a ship's cook, sailing from London to NSW aboard a ship-rigged sailing vessel the "Vimiera".
I'm trying to find out more about William so I would be happy to carry on with this correspondence.
Julian Elphick