Author Topic: Polish ancestor that is Jewish  (Read 713 times)

Offline crissi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Polish ancestor that is Jewish
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 10 January 24 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dirk,

I am descended from Carolus Josephus (*1792). His grandson Anton had taken over the Heidhof (Vormeppen) and died there early at the age of 56. My grandmother was the youngest of his 12 children at the time and moved away from Meppen with her mother to live with an older daughter who was married in Bremen. After the Second World War, I believe there were three Augustin sisters living there, but all married, so the name Augustin no longer appears in this branch. But we all have a replica of David Hirsch's portrait somewhere in the drawer :-)

The Ohio Augustin was probably Anton's little brother Bernhard, who died in the great earthquake in San Francisco? I have seen a bad copy of a postcard to Nikolaus junior, the mayor's son.

Well, if only the connection to the silk manufacturer could be proven. https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Jacobson and his team have documented his origins extremely well. There is a trace to Lissa, but when people perish in a fire, there are no gravestones afterwards. And although there are public orphan registers, I have not yet been able to decipher a corresponding entry (if any Jewish children were included who were staying with their godfather in Potsdam). And while the velvet manufacturer submitted applications to Friedrich Wilhelm for his older sons in order to obtain a protection privilege for them too, there is no such entry for the orphan. It was very expensive at the time and was only possible for a few relatives - everyone else had to leave the city. Why not in the direction of Meppen ...

Regards, Christoph

Offline BartJSimpson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 18 January 24 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christoph,
the name of the "Ohio Augustin" was indeed Bernhard but he died in Portsmouth (Ohio) in 1917 with 86 years. And his son, also named Bernhard, died in 1930 in Portsmouth.

Until now I was not aware that also some descendants of Carolus Josephus junior (*1792) were living in Bremen. I'm interested in more details because I still try to "collect" as much info of the descendants of Carolus Josephus Augustin senior as possible. Carolus Josephus junior had 14 children and at least 70 grandchildren, several with name Anton. 

Hopefully one time we can find out more about the live and the ancestors of Carolus Josephus senior. Would be very interesting.

Regards,
Dirk

Offline crissi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 27 January 24 21:36 GMT (UK) »
You have PM