Author Topic: Looking for death details for Margaret Eadie/Addis/Addie/Addes  (Read 260 times)

Offline nats788

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for death details for Margaret Eadie/Addis/Addie/Addes
« on: Saturday 12 August 23 23:51 BST (UK) »
Hello!

I have been looking for information for my great x5 grandmother, Margaret Addes m.s. Dickson. I believe she was born around 1800, in Glasgow.

The earliest information I have for her is an old parish register (Glasgow) of marriage on 23rd October 1820. It reads "William Addes, weaver, in Glasgow, and Margaret Dickson, resident there married 23rd October by Dr. William Taylor, one of the ministers of Glasgow". The reference for the record from SP is 644/1 400 38, if that helps.

She appears on the 1851 census, aged 52, with William (57) and her children, Richard (19), John (16) and William (10). William Addes dies in 1855, in Drygate where "he spent all his life". Margaret's maiden name is spelled "Dixon" here.

In the 1861 census, she may be staying with her son George and his wife Elizabeth on 83 Drygat Street, although her the age of the Margaret Addis here is 84, so that doesnt fit. The surname is spelled ADDIS here.

On her son Richards' death certificate, in 1875, she is marked as being deceased.

I have searched SP using all sorts of variations of the Addes surname but I am turning up nothing. I have checked the following on the off-chance, but I have not managed to find the right Margaret.

1867 ADDIS, MARGARET (Statutory registers Deaths 644/1 388)   
1875 EADIE, MARGARET (Statutory registers Deaths 627/ 51)   
1873 DICKSON, MARGARET (Statutory registers Deaths 644/1 763)   
1871 ADDIE, MARGARET (Statutory registers Deaths 625/1 96)   

Can anyone help?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for death details for Margaret Eadie/Addis/Addie/Addes
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 August 23 00:11 BST (UK) »
1851 shows her as Mary - is it a transcription error?  Image not available on Ancestry
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 August 23 08:30 BST (UK) »
1867 ADDIS, MARGARET (Statutory registers Deaths 644/1 388)   is also indexed as
1867 DICKSON, MARGARET  (Statutory registers Deaths 644/1 388) so it looks as if this should be her.

What is the information on that death certificate that makes you think it's the wrong one?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 August 23 09:05 BST (UK) »
1867 ADDIS, MARGARET (Statutory registers Deaths 644/1 388)   is also indexed as
1867 DICKSON, MARGARET  (Statutory registers Deaths 644/1 388) so it looks as if this should be her.

What is the information on that death certificate that makes you think it's the wrong one?

And most trees have a death date as 18 /2/1867  ::)

Rosie

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 August 23 09:27 BST (UK) »
The Glasgow Burgess Rolls have this entry in 1808:

Adie, William, weaver, B. and G. B., as eld. l. son to dec. Andrew A.,
weaver, B. and G. B.                                                                       31 Aug.

That means he was made a burgess and Guild brother of Glasgow on 31st August 1808 as eldest legitimate son of the deceased Andrew Adie, weaver, who was also a burgess and guild brother.

The entry for his father, in 1791, reads:

Adie, Andrew, weaver, B. and G. B., by purchase                               8 Aug.

Unfortunately, there is no genealogical information in the entry, except that we know Andrew Adie was not the son, son-in-law or apprentice of a Glasgow burgess, as he became one by purchase rather than by right. At least you can now look with confidence in the parish registers for a marriage entry for Andrew and for baptism entries for his children.

Offline nats788

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 August 23 11:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all your help. I have done some further digging and think that the 1867 records are correct.