Author Topic: Sarah Rice of Armagh  (Read 528 times)

Offline gardenguy

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah Rice of Armagh
« on: Sunday 13 August 23 01:26 BST (UK) »
My 3rd maternal great grandmother, Sarah Rice (DOB 28Nov1822) and her sister Bridget Rice (DOB 15June 1825) came to the US in 1834 from Armagh. I am trying to discover who their parents were.
Sarah married Thomas Jefferson Chaffin and eventually settled in Nebraska. Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Rice of Armagh
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 August 23 05:39 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Roostchat!

How did the two girls get from Armagh to the US......have you found the ship/lists.  Who were they accompanied by?

When did Sarah die and what were the names of her children please and the same for Bridget please.  Some Irish families used an irish naming pattern and you can get clues as to parents names from the names of their children
https://www.irelandxo.com/ireland-xo/news/irish-naming-conventions-and-baptism-traditions

It is useful to know the religion to help track Irish ancestors. What religion were they? 

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 August 23 05:54 BST (UK) »
There is an entry on Family Search for a Sarah Rice coming over on the Lord Glenely in 1836 and arriving into New York. 

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVPX-YR45

On the same shipping list are
Margt Rice 30 years
Patrick Rice  29 ? years
Michael Rice 13 years
Peter Rice 7
Sarah Rice  12
????(can't read it looks to end in 'th') Rice 9

Are there clues as to the name of the father from the marriage certificates? 

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 August 23 06:22 BST (UK) »
Is this the death of one of Sarah's children? James Quincy Chaffin?
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QPKB-LSRL

TJ Chaffin and Sarah Rice Chaffin burial in Nebraska. 
https://billiongraves.com/images?t=med21344742&col=1&cat=66346&rec=24968252

James Quincy born 1854
Thomas Caffin born 1856

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 August 23 06:27 BST (UK) »
I often look on the national census for ireland particulalry the 1901/11 ones.  I set the parameters to show the oldest names.  They may have been siblings/cousins of the ones who emigrated and who have stayed in ireland.

I often research these oldest ones to see how they fit into the family.

In the 1901 census there is a Bridget Rice aged 76, single, living in Clea, Keady rural Co Armagh. 
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Armagh/Keady_Rural/Clea/1014177/

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 August 23 08:16 BST (UK) »
Hiya Gardenguy and a warm welcome to Rootschat

this is a familytree owned by a Chaffin - so it should be pretty near the facts - not all trees are correct

https://gw.geneanet.org/lanechaffin?n=chaffin&oc=1&p=thomas+jefferson
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline scotskelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 October 23 19:59 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I discovered earlier this year that I have a genetic connection (DNA) with several descendants of Peter Rice and Sarah Rice of Highland County, Ohio. I also have a close connection to the Rice family in my Y DNA matches.
In attempting to solve this mystery I have been researching the Rice family recently, and have added the results of this research to Family Search and Wikitree.
Basically, the Rice family, i.e., siblings, Michael, Sarah, Peter and Bridget emigrated from County Armagh presumably with their parents (presently unknown) to Highland County Ohio, in 1826, where both Sarah and Bridget (Biddie) married in 1841, Sarah to Thomas Jefferson Chalfant/Chalfont/Chaffin and Bridget to John Griffith.
The Rice family appear from the Census returns and the naming pattern of their children to have had a close relationship to a Hughes family who also moved to Highland County in 1826 (from Campbell County, Virginia). The Hughes family originated in Maytone Townland, Parish of Loughgilly (near Newry), County Armagh.
I can provide more information directly

Moderator comment: personal e-mail address removed in accordance with RootsChat general practice and guidance, to prevent others spamming or abusing it.  Please use the personal message system to exchange e-mail addresses.  New members need to make 2 or 3 posts to be able to access this system.  Thanks

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 October 23 22:44 BST (UK) »
There is an entry on Family Search for a Sarah Rice coming over on the Lord Glenely in 1836 and arriving into New York. 

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVPX-YR45

On the same shipping list are
Margt Rice 30 years
Patrick Rice  29 ? years
Michael Rice 13 years
Peter Rice 7
Sarah Rice  12
????(can't read it looks to end in 'th') Rice 9

Are there clues as to the name of the father from the marriage certificates?

Theh last name on that list is Judith A., aged 9, so not the same family.

Offline scotskelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 January 24 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I have been researching the Rice family of Highland County, Ohio who originated in south Armagh, possibly Loughgilly Parish?
Siblings, Michael, Sarah, Peter and Bridget.
I have information that their parents were a Thomas Rice and a Margaret Feenan. I also note however another contributors information concerning the Glenelg, which sailed into New York in 1836 on board which was a Rice family with similar names, except the father who was named, Patrick. I am happy to discuss further.