Author Topic: Sarah Rice of Armagh  (Read 527 times)

Offline scotskelly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Rice of Armagh
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 January 24 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Wondering where you got the information that Sarah and Biddy e.igrated from Armagh in 1834, moving to Highland County, Ohio. From research I have done, it appears they had at least two brothers, I.e., Michael and Peter.
They appear to have had a close relationship with a Hughes family from Loughgilly Parish, County Armagh.

Offline scotskelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 January 24 23:08 GMT (UK) »
I have had a look at the Passenger List for the "Lord Glenelg", which arrived in New York on 18th October 1836.
The Rice Family onboard were as follows:
Margaret Rice    31    Principal Passenger in the family group, indicating she was a Widow.
Pat Rice            27     (Possibly Margaret's brother in law)
Michael Rice      13     (Margaret's son)
Peter  Rice          7     (Margaret's son)
Sarah Rice        12     (Margaret's daughter)
?       Rice           9?   (Margaret's daughter) this entry is almost illegible, but has been transcribed
                                  I believe wrongly as Ju-dith? The Index card appears more ambiguous as to
                                the proper name, with the Ju written lightly followed by a scrawl then finishing
                                with ditt or th?
                                 Looking at the name it could end , "it"meaning it could well have been
                                 Bridgit?
                                The age of 9, is also only partially legible and is open to interpretation.

Offline scotskelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 January 24 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Apologies I previously stated that the Rice family emigrated from County Armagh to Ohio in 1826. This was an error, having discovered the 1836 Passenger List for the Lord Glenelg which arrived in New York on 18th October 1836, I now have evidence that the family arrived 10 years later. The new date, actually makes more sense regarding the ages of the Rice children when they were emigrating.