Author Topic: William Lloyd - Mathry/Whitchurch  (Read 218 times)

Offline mfjcase

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
William Lloyd - Mathry/Whitchurch
« on: Sunday 13 August 23 05:29 BST (UK) »
Hello, I'm working on the line for my 3x ggf, William Lloyd, b. 1815 in Mathry, Pembrokeshire. I found a baptism on May 2, 1815 for William Lloyd in Whitchurch (about 9 miles from Mathry) to a James Lloyd and Mary (I found a marriage record for William and my 3x ggm, Elizabeth Watkins, and his father's name is listed as James - William also named one of his sons James). I also found an 1809 marriage between a James Lloyd and Mary Phillip in Hayscastle, about 6 miles from Mathry and 9 miles from Whitchurch. I have very little to confirm that James and Mary are my William's parents, but the location and the timeframes mostly match up. My question is whether a child born in Mathry would have been baptized in Whitchurch; 5-10 miles isn't much of an issue today, but I imagine it would have required quite an effort to either walk or find a horse and wagon to make the trip with a newborn (there may have been family considerations that prompted the trip). In short: am I on the right track?

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: William Lloyd - Mathry/Whitchurch
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 August 23 09:10 BST (UK) »
Its looks very likely that that is the 1815 Bapt of your William.

But I am not sure about that Marriage of William to Mary 1809.

It is a good idea to look for all children born to the parents above to confirm possible time for their Marriage. I usually go 10 years either side of bapt I find to start with.

Bapts;
St David, Whitchurch
To JAMES/MARY Llloyd

ANNE 02 Feb 1800
ELIZABETH 17 Apr 1803
MARTHA 18 May 1806
DAVID 22 Jul 1810
THOMAS 27 Mar 1812
WILLIAM 02 May 1815, Father a Labourer, abode Llekell
(Williams bapt is the only one with extra info)

A Burial there also for JAMES Lloyd 22 Jan 1848 age 73 (c 1775)

Cant seem to find him on 1841 Census though

+ MARY Lloyd 19 May 1835 age 62 (c 1773)

All above on FreeREG

So its possible that they married c 1795-1800 and other children may have been born elsewhere.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 August 23 14:06 BST (UK) »
Hello, I'm working on the line for my 3x ggf, William Lloyd, b. 1815 in Mathry, Pembrokeshire. I found a baptism on May 2, 1815 for William Lloyd in Whitchurch (about 9 miles from Mathry) to a James Lloyd and Mary

(I found a marriage record for William and my 3x ggm, Elizabeth Watkins, and his father's name is listed as James - William also named one of his sons James).

I also found an 1809 marriage between a James Lloyd and Mary Phillip in Hayscastle, about 6 miles from Mathry and 9 miles from Whitchurch.

I have very little to confirm that James and Mary are my William's parents, but the location and the timeframes mostly match up.

My question is whether a child born in Mathry would have been baptized in Whitchurch; 5-10 miles isn't much of an issue today, but I imagine it would have required quite an effort to either walk or find a horse and wagon to make the trip with a newborn (there may have been family considerations that prompted the trip). In short: am I on the right track?

Just adding details from the 1842 Lanfoist marriage for William
William Lloyd occ Carpenter abode Lanfoist - father Jas Lloyd occ Farmer

Where do you have William and Elizabeth in 1851

OK found them in 1851 no place of birth given just Pembrokeshire, William is 36. 
1861 has place of birth as Mathyr age 46
1871 has place of birth as Breconshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mfjcase

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 August 23 14:22 BST (UK) »
Its looks very likely that that is the 1815 Bapt of your William.

But I am not sure about that Marriage of William to Mary 1809.

It is a good idea to look for all children born to the parents above to confirm possible time for their Marriage. I usually go 10 years either side of bapt I find to start with.

Bapts;
St David, Whitchurch
To JAMES/MARY Llloyd

ANNE 02 Feb 1800
ELIZABETH 17 Apr 1803
MARTHA 18 May 1806
DAVID 22 Jul 1810
THOMAS 27 Mar 1812
WILLIAM 02 May 1815, Father a Labourer, abode Llekell
(Williams bapt is the only one with extra info)

A Burial there also for JAMES Lloyd 22 Jan 1848 age 73 (c 1775)

Cant seem to find him on 1841 Census though

+ MARY Lloyd 19 May 1835 age 62 (c 1773)

All above on FreeREG

So its possible that they married c 1795-1800 and other children may have been born elsewhere.

Trish :)

Thanks - I literally just started investigating this possibility last night and began looking for siblings - you've given me a head start. I agree that the births of the other children suggest that Mary Phillip is not the correct Mary; I was operating with just William's birth a few years later. Very similar to my Irish lines, there don't seem to be a lot of variations with names despite the areas having relatively small populations and I've found a few James and Mary Lloyds that are possibilities - it's hard to rule some of them in or out (or Mary Phillip, for that matter).

I don't know where Llekell is (I read it as "Slekell" at first before I also decided it started with an "L" after comparing to other entries), but the other locations listed on the page are all in the Whitchurch vicinity. I'll keep digging.

Offline mfjcase

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 August 23 15:17 BST (UK) »

Where do you have William and Elizabeth in 1851

OK found them in 1851 no place of birth given just Pembrokeshire, William is 36. 
1861 has place of birth as Mathyr age 46
1871 has place of birth as Breconshire
Hi, I had the 1851 info but it looks like you found it while I was typing.

The line looks like this:
William Llloyd b. 1815 married Elizabeth Watkins in 1842 in LLanfoist
   William & Elizabeth had a daughter Margaret in 1846 in Crickhowell (7 miles from Llanfoist)
       Margaret Lloyd married John Meyrick in 1865 and had Emily Jane in 1865 in Ludlow

John Meyrick apparently died in 1865 shortly after Emily's birth (John and Margaret were married a few weeks before Emily's birth, so it may have been a marriage of (in)convenience and John left town or he actually died - I haven't found definitive proof of either). With John out of the picture, Margaret left her newborn daughter Emily with her parents William and Elizabeth and left to work - I found her in Edgbaston, Birmingham, in 1881 (her named was spelled "Marick" but listed Crickhowell as her POB and noted the correct age).

Margaret's father William died January 30, 1879 (listed as a carpenter in Hoopits, Burford), so with Emily left with only her grandmother and extended family, Margaret returned to pick up Emily and the two left for Massachusetts. Emily married Arthur Henry Bolton in 1886, and they had 5 daughters in Boston, including my grandmother. With that in mind, in reverse order:

The 1871 census lists William Lloyd (a 56 y/o carpenter from Pembrokeshire) and Elizabeth at 15 Hoopits, Greet, along with three children and their granddaughter Emily Jane "Meyerick." Margaret had already been married (and possibly widowed) in 1865 and had apparently moved out after leaving her daughter with her parents.

The 1861 census lists William Lloyd (a 46 y/o carpenter and farmer from Mathry, Pembrokeshire) and Elizabeth at 7 Hoopits Farm, Stoke, along with 15 year old Margaret.

The 1851 census lists William Lloyd (a 36 y/o carpenter from Pembrokeshire) and Elizabeth at 6 Stoke Cottage, along with 4 year old Margaret.

Margaret's April 5, 1846 birth record shows her parents as William (carpenter) and Elizabeth Watkins of Mill Street, Crickhowell.

William Lloyd (carpenter, father was James, a farmer) and Elizabeth Watkins were married in Llanfoist in 1842.

I'll keep checking for William's parents; I know definitively that his father is James and his mother was likely Mary, but I don't know which Mary.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 August 23 19:48 BST (UK) »
possible marriage
St David's 25 Oct 1796 James Lloyd of Llanhowel & Mary Harry otp, witnesses Wm Griffiths & Henry Philip.

:-\
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 August 23 20:12 BST (UK) »
the address on the baptism is probably Llechell - there's no 'k' in Welsh

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01sl6/
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb