Author Topic: CURNOW William - any info after his arrival in Melbourne in Dec 1852  (Read 533 times)

Offline barbatalice

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CURNOW William - any info after his arrival in Melbourne in Dec 1852
« Reply #9 on: Friday 01 September 23 11:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks shume and Dundee

Given the so aptly described “Bermuda Triangle” conditions on the goldfields, and no trace of William CURNOW in the civil death records in Vic or SA, my hunch is that he died in Bendigo before the rest of the family moved to SA about 1860.  The death of his son-in-law John THOMAS in Jul 1857 in Bendigo is well documented so it is more likely that William died  earlier than that, ie 4 Jan 1853 - Jul 1857

According to the  1841 and 1851 English census returns William  CURNOW was a shoemaker / cordwainer. I wonder if he worked in that trade on the goldfields

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 September 23 00:13 BST (UK) »
Yes agree that he may have died earlier but could he have died on  the voyage? I thought assisted passenger manifests were written at the start of a voyage but could be wrong. So if you can access the original rather than a transcript it should list any who died ( although not by name) If he was in Bendigo he would have found employment as a shoemaker.
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline barbatalice

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 September 23 04:29 BST (UK) »
Good point re the  original Constance passenger list - it is a departure manifest. Some lists I have seen have arrival comments  eg disposal of passengers to employers,  deaths etc but I can’t see any comments on this one.   I also can’t find any reports of deaths on the voyage in Trove 

I did find  an advertisement posted in the Argus 4 Jan 1853 addressed to William CURNOW’s son-in-law John THOMAS. Again not proof of arrival .