Author Topic: Cropping a pdf to post to RootsChat handwriting board?  (Read 557 times)

Offline Annbee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cropping a pdf to post to RootsChat handwriting board?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 15 August 23 02:49 BST (UK) »
Don't give up Dave!

See my above post re. online crop site and online convert site. (although you may not need the latter for what it seems you want to do).

Now here's the online resizer (courtesy of Adobe, only catch is you need to register for free - only give them mandatory details): https://www.adobe.com/express/feature/image/resize

I suggest doing your crop online (and rename it there, even if it's just adding a "-1") then upload that result to Adobe resizer site.

If you intend to post quite a few images in the future it may be worth downloading an app for your iPad. See a How-To video: https://www.howtogeek.com/726913/how-to-resize-or-reduce-photo-size-on-iphone-and-ipad/

On Adobe resize site: if you don't fully understand ratios try seeing if 'standard' fits your crop. Otherwise use custom. Then, if you don't fully understand resolutions & sizes, I would suggest - for Rootschat - making your longest side anywhere between 900 and 400 pixels. 900 makes it longer of course and people may have to scroll if using a phone. But if the writing is illegible, maybe a longer pic is needed so that closer scrutiny is able to be done.

I'm attaching samples of sizes so you can see the difference. The first here is 900 pixel long.

Warwickshire: BEACH/BACHE, COX Gloucestershire: HAIL, VOYCE, TURNER, WINCHCOMBE, PREEN, Worcestershire: WEBB, CHARE, TYLER, Fife: FOWLER, JOHNSTONE, MELVILLE, Lanarkshire/Dunbartonshire: GRAHAM, CHALMERS, LANG, BISHOP, Sweden/Hamburg/London/Birmingham: HOKANSON

Offline Annbee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 August 23 03:02 BST (UK) »
And here is 400 pixel in length of same file.

Note that I do have the advantage of lots of software onboard my computer, I'm a photographer, so it's easy for me. So I do caution that if you use online conversion websites to first fully check their credentials and safety out first. In fact, if online works for you, maybe you can do everything you want with Adobe.
Warwickshire: BEACH/BACHE, COX Gloucestershire: HAIL, VOYCE, TURNER, WINCHCOMBE, PREEN, Worcestershire: WEBB, CHARE, TYLER, Fife: FOWLER, JOHNSTONE, MELVILLE, Lanarkshire/Dunbartonshire: GRAHAM, CHALMERS, LANG, BISHOP, Sweden/Hamburg/London/Birmingham: HOKANSON

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 15 August 23 07:35 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your help, some valuable lessons in technology. I have now got to grips with the snipping tool on my Windows laptop, and that certainly makes things very simple. I do like my iPad a lot - very easy to show things to other people on it - but I must say that for many tasks the laptop is just so much more straightforward. Also, I keep all of my photos as jpegs on my iPad (and on my laptop in more technical formats) but when I look at them on my laptop, the colour and detail is so much better than on iPad.

ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight