Author Topic: Col Miles Cary Born 1622 Bristol  (Read 479 times)

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Col Miles Cary Born 1622 Bristol
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 August 23 10:47 BST (UK) »
The most promising Jane Car(e)y I've found, b about 1744 is daughter of John and Jane, baptised in Chilbolton on 11 Oct 1744.
John Cary married Jane Prangnell at Chilbolton on 29 Sept 1743. The record says both were of the parish, but that doesn't necessarily mean they were born there. This was too early for marriage witnesses to be routinely recorded. No marital status is recorded either.
Assuming John wasn't an elderly widower remarrying, but a bachelor in his early 20s, I have found two possibilities for John's baptism.
John Carey bapt 20 Dec 1718 s/o William and Margaret at Longstock and
John Carey bapt 15 Oct 1723 s/o Edward (mother not recorded) at Andover (residence Hatherden)

The only baptism I can find for a Jane Prangnell in the right timeframe and place is one baptised in Chilbolten d/o Thomas in 1713.

I prefer the Longstock John Carey as it's closer to Chilbolton and he's closer in age to Jane (if she is the correct one). But so far back it's a case of just weighing up the probabilities.

The only other Carey events I can find in Longstock are baptism of Christian in 1720 d/o William and Margaret and her burial shorty afterwards. Later the same year there is burial of a Margaret Carey. Then in 1728, burial of a William Carey. If the latter two were John's parents he was orphaned at 10. Where did he go and who looked after him, I wonder.?
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott