Author Topic: Post Plantation Ulster/Scottish links  (Read 480 times)

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Post Plantation Ulster/Scottish links
« on: Monday 14 August 23 11:46 BST (UK) »
Post Plantation Ulster Scottish Links

I am looking for successful genealogical links found/maintained between families of Scottish planters [Undertakers/Servitors/military/workers] and their Ulster settlers.
I seek input from all sources that are working on these Scotland – Ulster links.
A big chance to post your stories, ‘ how you joined the dots’  and provide tips on how you go about it.
My focus is mainly Counties Donegal and Londonderry but will include Tyrone as I know some settlers crossed the borders.
McClure – to Cloghroe/Findrum/Convoy maybe from Ayrshire.
Shannon – to Limavady maybe from the Galloway region.
Moody – to Lenamore/Magilligan/Gortmore maybe from Fyfe.
Over time a lot of the families found links with each other by marriage, religion, sport, work and the military.
Other surnames that could fit into the above – Young, Conn, Cochrane, Haslett, Moore, Hopkins, Caldwell, Buchanan, Donnell, Elliott, Gregg, Graham, Gray, Henry, Gallagher, Hamilton, Henderson, Laird, Kee, Lockhart, Kilpatrick, McClintock, Nesbitt, Morrow, McKinney, McElhinney, Roulston, Parmiter, Russell, Porter, Stevenson, Thompson, Temple, Valentine, Wilson, McCloy.
20 years of researching and I have been successful in joining the McClure family of Gobnascale with the McClures of Colmonell in Ayrshire. A fair chance that Ayrshire would be the source of a number of Donegal McClure families. Still working on the Scotland/Ulster connections for all of the above.

Cheers
Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline robelliottellru6

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Post Plantation Ulster/Scottish links
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 January 24 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Jack,
Although i will not be of too much help here i will just add what is looking to be a connection of my Elliott family from around Ramelton back to Teviotdale on the Scottish Borders. Which in turn ties to the Stewart's.
At the moment i am using dna a lot to tie my families.....Milford-Ramelton in Donegal, Philadelphia City & Fannett Township Pennsylvania, Montgomery Township, New York State, USA, Londonderry Nova Scotia & a few other specific  places where  multiple East Donegal interconnected families are found as joint mass emigrants.
Elliott, Dill, Neely, Hunter, Gallaher, Stewart & Reagh....not Rea/Wray.
I have taken the Y dna test to a high level, Big Y700.
This has confirmed a number of things.
Not all Scottish Elliot's, one T, even those close on the Scottish Border, are related. Therefore the same applies to Ulster.
My own line of Ramelton-Milford Elliott's have a Ydna connection to the Elliot of Harwood, Teviotdale family. We do not descend from them, nor they from us, but we both have a common ancestor around 1500 CE.
As well as the Harwood Elliot family, one part of which emigrated to Nova Scotia, i match another Elliott in the USA whose family emigrated in the 1850's from Hobkirk in Teviotdale, near Harwood. This puts my Donegal Elliott's in that area, which is very much classed as an Elliot location. But we do not currently Ydna match any of the more famous later Elliot lines. In fact there is no Ydna to them that would match any Elliot at a genealogical level. Where this might be of interest is one of the more famous later Elliot seats of this unconnected line was at Minto in Teviotdale.
Minto was originally Turnbull land but through marriage it went to the Stewart's.
The Turnbull's would later try to regain the land through the courts in the mid 1500's, but lost.
However the Stewarts got into financial difficulties later & had to leave Minto. To revive their fortunes some took the opportunity of becoming part of the Ulster Plantation & took the lands in North & East Donegal. I believe as part of this enterprise they took with them families from their Minto lands, where i have the matching Elliot Ydna lines from.
Elliot's are found on the Stewart 1641 Muster Rolls.
On revelation from the Ydna test was just how few other Elliott's we matched, whether that be Scotland, Ireland or the United States.
In fact the family drops into just two Ulster groups. The East Donegal family & a group who have numerous persons tested & can be traced back to around Ballyeaston near Ballymena.
These tie to my line just as we left Scotland, around 1600.
The most surprising was the Donegal family. I Ydna matched two persons closely. One from quite a famous, American Military History, Elliott family & the other a man in Australia.
The American family left Donegal about 1750 & settled in a township named Fannett, after Fanad in Donegal. The family believe they have ties to North West Letterkenny.
The Australian line left Burnside, Convoy, Donegal, about 1850 for Sidney, Australia.
They can be found in Convoy marriage records with connections to North West Letterkenny.
But again little connection to other Elliott's.
We do believe there may be a tie to Elliott's of Castlefin-Killygordon.
From Ydna date lists, not just Elliott, it is sometimes possible to see which Scottish line an Ulster family connects to.