Author Topic: The Throckmorton's of Essex  (Read 205 times)

Offline Sherilla63

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Throckmorton's of Essex
« on: Monday 14 August 23 15:13 BST (UK) »
Hello,

My 11 GG John Throckmorton lived in Thaxted Essex. He was married to Francis Creed in Saffron Waldon in 1581 and they had three children Kenelmus (Kenelm) thought to have been named after an Uncle in 1582, Elizabeth in 1586 (my 10 x G Grandmother), and Thomas in 1589. Although John is named as a gentleman in the baptism records of Thaxted I can find no trace of a will after his death in 1610, nor have I been able to trace any baptism records.

There is a Sir Kenelm Throckmorton living in Little Eastor Essex with whom it is thought that John's son Kenelmus might have been named. Sir Kenelm is the son of Sir George Throckmorton of Coughton Warwickshire which is a prominent family with links to the Tudor Royal Family.

Given the rather unusual name of Kenelm, I am hoping that this may be a viable line of inquiry, but I am hitting a lot of brick walls in finding a legitimate link. I was wondering if anyone on this forum might be also trying to trace this family line and if so whether they have had any more luck than I have.
Regards
Sherry Davis

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Throckmorton's of Essex
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 August 23 06:16 BST (UK) »
Essex Records Office if you put in the search bar Kenelm is brings up 6 pages.

Throckmorton is also spelled Throgmorton. Not all are relevant, but reading the wills of anyone named

Throckmorton might give an insight.

There are wills on ancestry that could give relationships, I find wills of widows very informative. Don't limit yourself to Essex.