Author Topic: Diary Summary Week Ending 20 August 2023  (Read 544 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Diary Summary Week Ending 20 August 2023
« on: Monday 14 August 23 16:53 BST (UK) »
Well, it looks like I get to start the thread again this week ..

Managed to get to Church yesterday; it was my first Sunday off in several weeks.  Still no word yet of a new Pastor.
I went to my hairdressers this morning to see if there was a sign up or anything about when it might reopen.  Online it is still saying 'temporarily closed'.  Workmen there gave me the shock news that it isn't going to reopen!  They are turning the premises into a flat!😱
I am very sorry that my hairdresser seems to have gone out of business. :'(  I know things never picked up again after covid.  She was a really nice person, and always had a lovely manner about her.  I am not looking forward to looking around for another hairdresser. :-\  I won't get time this week so I'll have to put up with yet another week of covid hair until my new rota comes out soon.
Then I went to Shields.  There is a long notice pinned up in Wilkos from their CEO.  I stopped to read it in parts and it sounded a bit like a goodbye letter but it didn't seem totally clear on it.  I went to ask a member of staff who said the store will continue trading for now but it is all up in the air with regards to closure - they are uncertain about what is happening.
It is a cold, grey day and the rain has been chucking it down all day.  It is like the world is crying about there being too many endings.  Today definitely has a Monday feel about it.
I'm on nightshift tonight.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary Summary Week Ending 20 August 2023
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 August 23 18:02 BST (UK) »
Sorry to hear your hairdresser has had to give up RTL… it’s always difficult to find another one and have confidence in them for a while. I’m very lucky as I have someone who comes to the house which I much prefer, after two years I think she’s now got my style, colour etc sorted!

I’m always amazed at your stamina doing all these unsociable shifts and feel tired just reading your posts! I’m sure you’re counting the days until retirement, then there’s the joy of doing all those things you want to do and if you don’t want to do something there’s always another day!

Pilates this morning, which always sets me up on a Monday! She works us hard but I certainly feel the benefits. It was raining first thing… pouring down but with the stiff breeze it soon blew through and has been pleasant for the rest of the day.

Last week we had our two grandsons staying with us for several days… they were a delight and we had lots of fun, first time they’ve been on their own since before covid so 7 yr old couldn’t remember coming on their own… we got the thumbs up and they want to come again! They’re much better without the parents I have to say!

Our 50 th wedding celebration on 5th went well apart from the weather… the only day where it rained all day 😩😩.. still an enjoyable time was had by all.

Hope everyone has a good week.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 August 23 23:56 BST (UK) »
Caroline I was laughing at your comment about the grandsons being better without the parents. Glad you had fun. Great that you had a lovely 50th.
RTL I sympathise about your hairdresser. You haven’t heard if she’s gone mobile or anything?
North East of England

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 August 23 11:13 BST (UK) »
Good morning
Beautiful day today, yesterday I went to the coast with a friend, had  lunch in the theatre then walked along the cliffs and down to the prom, full tide in,
lovely smell, wish I could have bottled some.

Caroline,  congratulation on your 5oth.

RTL,  if you get in touch with your hairdresser she might visit you especially  as she has had you as her client for so long, worth a try, I hate changing  hairdressers, I know my one will  retire in the next year or so.

I think the grandchildren are better without parents when visiting , we always found that but sometimes  we would get " mummy let's us do it" we would have to work round  that.

I am not fully sure what is happening  about Wilkos but it is a shame another shop is closing.

Enjoy your day folks,  quite hot here, I have just washed 4 jackets, all dry clean but they look OK, if not it will teach me a lesson not to do it again, or worse still to buy more!!

LM.

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 August 23 15:12 BST (UK) »
Seems as if everyone else has had an equally quiet week to me.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 August 23 16:19 BST (UK) »
Glad you enjoyed your special day Caroline.
My 67th yesterday,but of course only me celebrating ,we got married August 18 th 1956, got  flowers in the house and our photo next to them.
Having a bit of trouble with RootsChat, have to log in each time and my password refused time and time again.

Son been visiting his head office ,and stopping off to stay with a Uni friend of 45 years on the way back.
Doing  some jobs jobs in his house next door, which gives him a break from the computers.Back tomorrow evening.

Sunny windy day today but very heavy rain forecast.

My little friend has a whole new lot of medication, fortified  food/ drinks and vitamin and essential elements pills.
Hopefully her GP will  now give regular checks  etc ,and her estranged daughter is now at last involved.
Nothing can improve her sight though and she has to learn a whole new
regime of pills etc , it is very sad.

My hair has gone mad, has a mind of its own,perhaps it is mine it has taken over!
Needs a drastic cut.

Well not much news , except to say how very upset to say the least the parents of the babies murdered by the Nurse who was supposed to be assisting in bringing about their survival, must be.
The most  innocent, harmless little lives ,so loved and so vulnerable .
I have worked on a premature baby ward, when survival  rates were not nearly so good as now, little arms and legs  like our fingers, as big - or rather as small  as small dolls .
When they did not come through, the grief of parents -  and  our tears too.
However could that nurse do any harm to them is beyond belief.
.It said she would not be in the Dock for sentencing ,surely that can’t be her choice,she ought not to have any choice ,it seems like the case in Liverpool, the man who shot the little ten year old  and  would nit appear in  the Dock fir sentencing !
The world has gone mad.

Hope you all enjoy the rest of the weekend.
Cheerio.Viktoria.