Author Topic: William Fingay, Wortham, c.1719 - 1745?  (Read 280 times)

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
William Fingay, Wortham, c.1719 - 1745?
« on: Tuesday 15 August 23 11:10 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

My latest trip to The Hold has given me another miller.  This chap is called William Fingay and he was living in Wortham.

The records show that a William Fingay was alive in 1717 and later, in 1745, another William Fingay was referenced in regard to a Will made by his grandfather (you guessed it; William Fingay).

Any help in establishing death dates for the Williams would be of great help, so that I might be able to seperate them out.

Thanks, as always,

Windy

PS Fingay is a strange name, and I have to say I've never come across it in Suffolk before.
windmills, watermills, steam-mills, bark-mills, cotton mills, &c. millwrights & millers

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: William Fingay, Wortham, c.1719 - 1745?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 August 23 11:38 BST (UK) »
Having double checked the deed it looks equally as if the surname cound be Tingay, and there seems to have been some sort of connection to Lowestoft.

Windy
windmills, watermills, steam-mills, bark-mills, cotton mills, &c. millwrights & millers

Offline gobbitt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 August 23 21:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Windy

The will of Ipswich hair merchant William TINGEY (PCC 1719) can be downloaded free of charge from TNA.

The location of his windmill is not stated. It was left to his "Loving Freind" (the sole executrix and main legatee) Ann HEAD of Ipswich for her lifetime and then to his grandson William TINGEY, son of deceased baker William TINGEY of "Laystoot" [probably buried at Lowestoft in 1713]. The  witnesses were John BUFFETT Junior, Bridgett BUFFETT and John ELDRED.

David

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 August 23 10:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gobbitt,

Very interesting!  A hair merchant!  So he owned the mill and lived in Ipswich, so he must have employed a miller, or hired out the mill.

This helps greatly!

Windy

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 August 23 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Windy, suffolk Burial index has 7 Tingay/Tingey/Tingy but no Fingay

2 willliams:
William Tingey 29/6/1713 Lowestoft, St Margarets
William Tingy   11/8/1707 s/o william Ipswich

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)