Author Topic: Further help with 1834 PCC will please  (Read 168 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Further help with 1834 PCC will please
« on: Tuesday 15 August 23 16:57 BST (UK) »
I would appreciate help with some more words which I'm unsure of in the will of William Bradbury of Lapworth, underlined in mauve.

In the second excerpt I think I can see: "the Lower Close [?]  Wheat Close the Moores in two parts divided and [?] Close

[?] of the waste lands

awarded to all in [?] of the before mentioned [??]
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Further help with 1834 PCC will please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 August 23 20:15 BST (UK) »
1 ..I give devise and direct first I appoint unto my son John Bradbury..

2 ...the home close the Lower Close the wheat close the Moors in two parts divided and Drakes Close..

3..inclosure of the waste lands within the Manor of Kingswood...

4..awarded to me in respect of the before mentioned messuage lands and premises...

5 free

6 ...Shelfield in the parish of Aston Cantlow...  It's often useful, if you find an unfamiliar place name which is within a recognisable named parish, to use either Genuki or Wikipedia to find the parish and see if anything looks likely.  I found this in the Wiki entry for Aston Cantlow.

7 ...freehold closes pieces or parcels..

8....rights[?] members

9 ...Devisees in trust...
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Further help with 1834 PCC will please
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 August 23 20:34 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, Galium, for your help. Re Shelfield, I did try looking it up, but unfortunately I’d  read it as “Sadfield”, but I’ll certainly follow your advice, and use Genuki or BHO in future.

Dave  :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight