Author Topic: The Becks Household at 2, Devonshire Place, St. Helier - Myra Jones  (Read 355 times)

Offline Hugh Wright

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Becks Household at 2, Devonshire Place, St. Helier - Myra Jones
« on: Tuesday 15 August 23 17:06 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any knowledge of the Beck family at 2, Devonshire Place, St Helier?

Thomas Beck was born in 1842 and married Emily Fillieul in February 1863.  They had children and one of them was also Emily.

From the 1881 Census, Thomas Beck was a widower as a printer compositor.  His daughter, Emily aged 17, two sons aged 10 and 5 as well as Thomas' mother in law, Elizabeth Fillieul, were in the house that night.  Also, another resident was Myra Jones aged 4 listed as a 'lodger'.

There is a birth certificate made out in St. Helier for Myra Jones in 1876, being the daughter of Edwin Jones and Helen Hughes.  Also in the baptism register for Myra, her godparents or sponsors were listed as Thomas Beck and daughter, Emily. A possible explanation for being a lodger in the Becks household in 1881.  Did something happen to either or both, Edwin Jones and Helen Hughes?  Don't think that they were Jersey residents.

Myra Jones was taken in by the Wright family at Longstone Hall in Derbyshire, taking on the Wright family name.  It was such a taboo subject with my grandparents' generation.  My grandmother was never able to find out the story of how she came into the family from her husband, being a 'brother' to Myra.  My parents met another 'sister' of Myra when she was in her nineties.  She made it quite clear to my parents that she was the youngest member of the family when born in 1873.

As far as people in the village of Great Longstone were concerned, she was a bonafide member of the Wright family.

I acknowledge that this is an exceedingly long shot to get to the bottom of the mystery associated with Myra Jones.  My great grandparents obviously took her in as a member of the family in rather mysterious circumstances.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Becks Household at 2, Devonshire Place, St. Helier - Myra Jones
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 August 23 22:07 BST (UK) »
There's a Jersey workhouse entry for a Myra Jones from 1879 - monetary subscription required, but might tell you more?

https://catalogue.jerseyheritage.org/collection-search/?si_elastic_detail=archive_110277937

Offline Hugh Wright

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: The Becks Household at 2, Devonshire Place, St. Helier - Myra Jones
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 August 23 06:33 BST (UK) »
Very many thanks for your suggestion for seeking further information on Myra Jones on the Jersey Heritage website.

I have now managed to obtain the entry for her on 12th June 1879 when she was two.  If my translation from French is adequate, it appears that she had an eye infection and was not discharged until 10th July 1879. 

There is a reference to 'Southampton'.  This is presumably where she might have been staying as I have found that St. Helier did have a hotel called the Southampton Hotel.  Appears to have been closed in recently.

The entry in the Baptism Register is worth a look.  It appears that Myra was born out of wedlock as no wife is mentioned.  What's intriguing is that the name of the mother, Helen Hughes, has been added in a different hand to the rest of the handwriting for her entry.

Many thanks for getting in touch.

Regards