Author Topic: Boer War Records Location  (Read 322 times)

Offline tom mix

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Boer War Records Location
« on: Wednesday 16 August 23 05:36 BST (UK) »
A gentleman came to our Family History Group this morning seeking information about his grandfather, Mathew Leigh who was a Lancer in a Boer War. All I could help him with is the following:

Mathew Leigh born 1879 in Northwich, Cheshire.
Enlisted 1897 in the South Lancashire Regiment. Enlisted Number 6786.

He has researched Mathew's BMD information but would like to find out more of his War Record.
Mathew finished his career as a senior policeman in the Wallasey area.

Could someone please direct me a site where I might find relevant records in addition to the South Lancs  website?

Thanks

Alan

Donougher, Bawden, Cahill, Mahon(e)y, Williams,
Kirby, Woods, Faherty

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Boer War Records Location
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 August 23 08:33 BST (UK) »
Leigh   M   Service Number 6786   

The following site has this man serving in the Grenadier Guards:

https://www.angloboerwar.com/name-search

Lancers are cavalry
The South Lancashire Regiment were infantry

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 August 23 09:10 BST (UK) »
There is a very informative service record to be found on Ancestry / Fold 3 in the database for UK, Royal Hospital Chelsea Pensioner Soldier Service Records, 1760-1920
for a Matthew Leigh born 1879, Northwich who originally attested in the South Lancs (no 2 5313 - altered with thanks to AndyJ2022) on 10 Jun 1897.

He was transferred to the Grenadier Guards on 19 Aug 1897 which I assume, but I'm not brill with military records, is when his original service no was crossed out on the record and 6786 written in.

To help you/the gentleman who is enquiring to decide if its the right person the record says:
Father: George. Mother: Ann Jane, older brothers: Harry, Thomas, George, younger brothers: Frank, Fredk,Arthur, Harold, sister: Sarah Jane
 all of 5 John St Northwich

Boo

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 August 23 09:20 BST (UK) »
I assume the gentleman concerned has found Matthew Leigh's service documents of FindMyPast. These say that he enlisted in the South Lancs Regiment on 10 June 1897 and was initially given the number 5313. He transferred to the 3rd Battalion the Grenadier Guards on 19 Aug 1897 and was given the new number 6786. He fought in the Second Boer War and was promoted to Corporal. He was transferred to the Reserve on 10 June 1904 and finally discharged on 9 June 1909 having completed his 12 years service. There is no record of him serving in the cavalry.

Is it possible that the gentleman has confused the rank of Lance Corporal with Matthew Leigh being a Lancer?

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 August 23 09:45 BST (UK) »
One reason he may have transferred to the Guards is his height. He was 5' 81/4" at the age of 18 so may have been expected to grow a little more. The Guards only accepted men over 5'8".

Offline tom mix

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 August 23 10:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone who replied.
I will present your information to my enquirer and see what he can deduce.
This may not happen for a week as our group only meets once a week on Wednesday mornings.

Regards

Alan
Kirby, Woods, Faherty

Offline tom mix

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 August 23 06:36 BST (UK) »
I met with the enquirer at our weekly meeting today. He asked me to thank all those who contributed to the topic. Everything seemed to make sense. We spent some time looking at the reports on The Battle at Belmont. Fascinating.
He still wonders about Mathew Leigh's role in the War. He recollects that his grandmother showed him a lance which she claims had belonged to her husband, Mathew. At this stage, about 1960, Mathew was dead.
Did the Grenadiers have a cavalry unit? Could Mathew have simply brought the lance home as a souvenir of war? Perhaps we will never know.
Alan
Kirby, Woods, Faherty

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 August 23 06:57 BST (UK) »
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline tom mix

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 August 23 10:23 BST (UK) »
I will take this link to the enquirer when we meet next Wednesday.

Appreciate your interest,

Alan
Kirby, Woods, Faherty